Maria Eugenia Salazar has more than 15 years of experience and became partner in 2010; her main areas of expertise are: data privacy and cyber security, telecoms, energy and investment protection and arbitration.
María Eugenia has special recognitions in dispute resolution/arbitration. According to Chambers María Eugenia is described by market insiders and peers as a key partner very active in the dispute resolution arena, and as a "a very able lawyer."
Legal 500 also recognizes María Eugenia as a key player in investment arbitration; energy and natural resources, environmental and public law. Among the testimonials, Legal 500 includes:
"The dispute resolution practice is one of the strongest in Venezuela. We have seen first-hand the efficient and positive leadership of Maria Eugenia Salazar Furiati. They offer their clients advice on international arbitration, both commercial and investment."
"Maria Eugenia Salazar Furiati, who is one of the team leaders, stands out for combining knowledge of arbitration procedures with industry-specific considerations. She is an excellent litigator and negotiator, and always has time for her clients."
María Eugenia Salazar advises a variety of clients on protecting their investments in Venezuela under international bilateral & double taxation treaties. She has significant experience handling international arbitration proceedings before ICSID tribunals and annulment committees, as well as, ad hoc tribunals under UNCITRAL rules.
She oversees the analysis and negotiation of a wide variety of important local and cross boarders contracts, covering matters related to industries such as: energy and infrastructure; telecommunications, as well as data privacy and cyber security. In the latter, María Eugenia has been recognized by her clients as a trustful source in assisting them on how to collect, manage, handle and transfer personal data.
María Eugenia also has valuable experience dealing with local regulatory bodies, as well as State-owned companies and its affiliates. Finally, she has significant experience litigating at the Venezuelan courts. María Eugenia has also supported her French colleagues in the appeal of arbitration awards related to Venezuela before the Paris Court of Appeal.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising international investors in restructuring its investment in Venezuela in order to protect their investments under bilateral protection and double taxation treaties.
- Advising international investors before ICSID, and ad hoc tribunals under UNCITRAL rules against the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela in arbitration and annulment proceedings, due to the expropriation of its interests in Venezuela.
- Advising telecommunications service providers in connection with licenses and services agreements, both with other providers and with the Venezuelan regulators.
- Advising on data privacy and cybersecurity issues in connection with how to collect, preserve, transfer and handle data privacy information.
- Advising international oil and gas service companies in connection with licenses, service agreements, and payment claims with the Venezuelan national oil company.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Caracas Bar Association
In addition to her practice, María Eugenia also serves as an professor of Investment International Arbitration at Universidad Moteavila Faculty of Law and of Telecommunications Law at Universidad Católica Andrés Bello Faculty of Law.
María Eugenia is member of the board of directors of the British School of Caracas, and of the National Investment Promoting Council (CONAPRI).
- Venezuela (1994)
- Central University of Venezuela (Master in Administrative Law) (2005)
- McGill University, Montreal (LL.M. Telecommunications) (2000)
- Andrés Bello Catholic University (M.C.L., Honors) (1994)
- Interviewed by the specialized magazine published by the Venezuelan Centre of Conciliation and Arbitration (CEDCA) for its June 2020 edition on international investment arbitration.
- Arbitrator, "7th Competition on International Investment Arbitration", American University Washington College of Law, May 2020
- Investment restructuring Speaker, "2018 Annual Meeting of STEP (families wealth advisors)", Vancouver, Canada, September 2018.
Firm Committee Memberships
- Dispute & Resolution (Global steering committee member)
- Diversity & Inclusion and Wellness local committees (member)
- TMT (Technology, Media and Telecommunications) member
- Energy & Infrastructure (steering committee member)