Maria Eugenia Salazar has more than 15 years of experience and became partner in 2010. María Eugenia is very active in investment protection and international arbitration as well as in public law, in particular on telecommunications and energy.
According to Chambers María Eugenia is described by market insiders and peers as a key partner very active in the dispute resolution arena, and as a "a very able lawyer." Legal 500 also recognizes María Eugenia as a key player in investment arbitration; energy and natural resources, environmental and public law.
María Eugenia is a respected authority on several areas of law in Venezuela, and her expertise is regularly solicited by leading publications and organizations.
María Eugenia Salazar advises a variety of clients on protecting their investments in Venezuela under international bilateral treaties. She has significant experience handling international arbitration proceedings before the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), and ad hoc tribunals under UNCITRAL rules. She is also regularly responsible for negotiating service contracts between State agencies and private companies, as well as between foreign and local private companies. She oversees the analysis and negotiation of a wide variety of important contracts, covering topics from oil & gas drilling to data privacy to interconnection of telecommunications networks (including satellite rental capacity). María Eugenia also has valuable experience dealing with local regulatory bodies such as CONATEL, INDEPABIS, and PROCOMPETENCIA, as well as State-owned companies like PDVSA and its affiliates. Finally, she has significant experience litigating at the Venezuelan Supreme Court, the Contentious Administrative Court, and Tax Courts.
In addition to her practice, María Eugenia also serves as a professor of Investment International Arbitration at Universidad Moteavila Faculty of Law and of Telecommunications Law at Universidad Católica Andrés Bello Faculty of Law.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising international investors before the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), and ad hoc tribunals under UNCITRAL rules against the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela in arbitration proceedings.
- Advising telecommunications service providers in connection with licenses and services agreements, both with other providers and with the Venezuelan regulators.
- Advising international content and telephone providers on data privacy issues in Venezuelan.
- Advising international oil and gas service companies in connection with licenses, service agreements, and payment claims with PDVSA and its affiliates.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Caracas Bar Association
- Venezuela (1995)
- Central University of Venezuela (Administrative Law) (2005)
- McGill University, Montreal (LL.M. Telecommunications) (2000)
- Andrés Bello Catholic University (M.C.L., Honors) (1994)
- Interviewed by the specialized magazine published by the Venezuelan Centre of Conciliation and Arbitration (CEDCA) for its June 2020 edition on international investment arbitration.
- Arbitrator, "7th Competition on International Investment Arbitration", American University Washington College of Law, May 2020
- Investment restructuring Speaker, "2018 Annual Meeting of STEP (families wealth advisors)", Vancouver, Canada, September 2018.
Firm Committee Memberships
- Diversity & Inclusion and Wellness local committees