Masami Sakai is a counsel in the Firm’s Dispute Resolution Practice Group in Tokyo. He routinely handles complex litigation, dispute resolution and general corporate matters for clients in various industries. Mr. Sakai graduated from the University of Tokyo and is a member of the Daini Tokyo Bar Association.
Mr. Sakai has substantial experience in financial products litigation related to securities transactions and derivatives, as well as in dispute resolution involving IT systems development. He advises clients on compliance issues and matters involving the Companies Act and labor law.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented an industrial waste disposal company in litigation involving an injunction sought on the client’s operation of an industrial waste disposal facility.
- Represented major domestic securities companies and financial institutions in litigation in which compensation was sought for alleged breaches of the obligation to explain financial products.
- Represented a major domestic nonbank financial institution with regard to several disputes over IT system development contracts.
- Represented a company in several suits in which existing shareholders sought injunctions on the issuance of share acquisition rights.
- Acted for a Japanese toymaker in its request for provisional disposition against the production and distribution of products of similar shapes in accordance with the Unfair Competition Law.
- Acted for a Japanese machinery maker in patent infringement litigation, patent invalidation appeal and action for cancellation in connection with liquid crystal panels.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dai-Ni Tokyo Bar Association
- Japan (2001)
- University of Tokyo (LL.B.) (1997)