Evelyn Romero-Ávila joined Baker McKenzie Colombia in 2000 as a associate in the labor department. She was named local partner in 2009. Prior to joining the Firm, Ms. Romero was an associate for an important local law firm and a legal assistant for Science Applications International Corporation. She has also written numerous articles on Colombian labor law for Legal Review Latin America.
Ms. Avila focuses her practice on general labor law; labor procedures; labor agreements; payroll benefits; promotion in collective labor agreements for massive worker terminations; workers' transfer; labor matters in mergers, acquisitions and liquidation of companies; quasi-fiscal contributions; labor audits; integral social security and occupational health; immigration matters; labor litigation and handling of administrative procedures before labor and immigration authorities.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised to Nalco/Ecolab regarding the strategy and different legal options regarding the transference of personnel due to the merger. We are on the implementation process of the employer substitution.
- Adivsed to Groupe Seb regarding the strategy and different legal options regarding the transference of personnel due to the merger. We implemented the employer substitution. We continue advising the client after the merger and particularly with the unions negotiations.
- Advised to Bundy in a case in which the plaintiff, former human resources manager, claimed that his transfer from the traditional system of unemployment aid to the annual system was not valid and he claimed payment of the aid for all the time of services along with high cost penalties.
- Advised to Janssen-Cilag in a case in which the Plaintiff argued protection against dismissal due to maternity conditions and labour harassment and claimed reinstatement to the company along with all salaries, labour benefits, social security quotations plus high cost penalties.
- Advised to GlaxoSmithkline in a case in which the plaintiff claimed pension allowance recognition directly in charge of former employer along with moratorium interests.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National College of Labor Attorneys - Member
- Arbitration Courts of Collective Labor Disputes - Secretary
- Colombia (1998)
- Universidad Javeriana (Master's Degree in Employment Law and Social Security) (1999)
- University of Los Andes (J.D.) (1997)
- University of Los Andes (Political Science Degree) (1997)
Writer, "Legal Review Latin America," Colombian Labor Law
Professor, "Cooperative of Associates" on the specialization course on labor law of the Sergio Arboleda University
Professor in the Module of "confidentiality agreements and reserve duty on labor contracts" on the specialization of intellectual property in the Rosario University
Profesor in the Course in OIT, about: "Normas Internacionales del Trabajo para Magistrados, Juristas y Docentes en Derecho". Dictated in Mexico D.F. on March 2012