Eugenie Rogers is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie's Litigation practice group, based in Dallas. She has substantial experience representing clients in complex cross-border disputes, including international commercial arbitration and business litigation, with particular emphasis on high-value construction and engineering disputes in Europe and the Middle East.
Eugenie is part of Baker McKenzie's globally-ranked international arbitration practice, serving as a steering committee representative for the Firm's global International Arbitration Associates Forum and an active participant in the Firm's Women in Arbitration group. She has been recognized annually (2016–2021) by Texas Super Lawyers as a Rising Star in business litigation and is an active participant in the international law community, speaking on issues relating to international arbitration and contributing regularly to the Firm's International Litigation and Arbitration Alert.
Eugenie has extensive experience representing clients in international arbitrations governed by the rules of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR), and the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC), and domestic arbitrations under the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) arbitration rules. Eugenie has second-chaired multiple multimillion dollar international arbitrations from inception through merits hearing. She also has assisted clients to obtain injunctive relief from courts in support of arbitral proceedings.
In addition to international and domestic arbitrations, Eugenie's experience also includes litigating cases and appeals in US federal and state courts, including anticorruption and government enforcement matters, trade secrets and employment disputes, foreign judgment recognition cases, agency enforcement actions, and litigation of other statutory and common law claims. Eugenie supports clients across a broad range of industries including EPC construction and engineering services, financial services, healthcare, and hospitality.
Representative Legal Matters
Won multimillion-dollar ICC dispute board claim, including award of attorneys' fees, on behalf of a US-based, multinational EPC contractor, in a Paris-seated proceeding administered by the ICC International Centre for ADR. The contractor's claim against the project owner related to unforeseeable site conditions arising out of the construction of an oil refinery megaproject in the Middle East.
Won substantial ICC dispute board claim, including award of attorneys' fees, on behalf of the same EPC contractor, in another Paris-seated proceeding administered by the ICC International Centre for ADR. The contractor's claim related to contractual entitlement to relief based on changes in law and restrictions imposed by the local government in response to COVID-19, during construction of an oil refinery in the Middle East.
Secured favorable settlement and recovered substantial arbitration costs on behalf of EPC contractor in ICC arbitration seated in Kuwait City, involving defense against a supplier claim arising out of a refinery project in the Middle East.
Representing EPC contractor in bringing a claim for extension of time and associated losses in the construction of a major oil refinery.
Representing EPC contractor in defending claims relating to the calculation of the final account and claims for delay and further payment arising out of the construction of an industrial project in France.
Won multimillion-dollar international arbitration award, order of rescission, and substantial award of attorneys' fees in a Miami seat ICDR arbitration in favor of a publicly traded Australian company against sellers of an Ecuadorian subsidiary relating to the sellers' corrupt payments to government officials. Prevailed in contested action in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida to confirm arbitral award pursuant to the Panama Convention.
Won multimillion-dollar international arbitration award, including attorneys' fees, in favor of multinational hotel operator against former owner of a luxury-branded hotel, in an SCC arbitration seated in Stockholm.
Successfully defended against indemnity and breach of contract claims asserted in a London seat ICC arbitration against Italian medical device company under component supply agreement with US-based manufacturer, including second-chairing preliminary and final merits hearings and preparing major written submissions.
Successfully defended an arbitrability dispute in Texas state court, resulting in dismissal of the state court claim and referral to FINRA arbitration.
Defended numerous customer arbitrations and prosecuted broker-dealer arbitrations before FINRA, resulting in favorable settlements of claims.
Briefed appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit resulting in reversal and rendition in favor of a medical device company, and ultimately recovery of money damages and attorneys' fees.
Represented a publicly traded medical device company in several litigation matters, including state and federal court actions for breach of contract and misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Rising Star, Texas Super Lawyers, 2016-2021
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - completed intensive training program regarding international arbitration to attain Member credential
- International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution (CPR) - Member, Arbitration Committee; Member, Energy, Oil & Gas Committee
- Young ICCA (International Council for Commercial Arbitration) - Member
- State Bar of Texas - Member
- State Bar of Florida - Member
- American Bar Association - Member
- Dallas Bar Association - Member
- Phi Beta Kappa - Member
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers - 2019 Committee Co-chair, Older Wiser Lawyers; 2013 Member, DAYL Leadership Class
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida~United States (2017)
- Florida~United States (2017)
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois~United States (2016)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan~United States (2016)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit~United States (2013)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit~United States (2015)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas~United States (2015)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas~United States (2013)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas~United States (2012)
- Texas~United States (2012)
- Southern Methodist University, Dedman School of Law (J.D., cum laude) (2012)
- Vanderbilt University (B.A. Political Science and East Asian Studies, summa cum laude) (2008)
- Speaker, "Living in a Virtual World: New Developments and Best Practices for Dispute Resolution in the COVID Era," Association of Corporate Counsel, Houston Chapter—Litigation Practice Group, November 2020
- Speaker, "Open for Business? – International Arbitration in the Era of Covid-19 and Beyond," Baker McKenzie webinar series, April 2020
- Speaker, 103rd Meeting of the Oil & Gas Arbitration Club (London, UK), March 2020
- Speaker, "Beyond The Courts: Arbitration and Other Viable Mechanisms to Control Risks and Resolve Disputes," Association of Corporate Counsel, Houston Chapter—Litigation Practice Group, June 2019
- Speaker, "Practical Tips for New Lawyers: How to Get Clients, Get Paid, and Avoid Malpractice," Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, Transition to Law Practice Program, June 2019
- Moderator, Alternative Legal Careers Panel at the SMU Dedman School of Law, Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, October 2016