Eugenie’s experience includes appearing as counsel in international arbitrations governed by the rules of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR), and the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC), and domestic arbitrations under the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) arbitration rules. Eugenie has second-chaired multiple multimillion dollar international arbitrations from inception through merits hearing. She also has assisted clients to obtain injunctive relief from courts in support of arbitral proceedings.
In addition to international and domestic arbitrations, Eugenie has extensive experience litigating cases and appeals in US federal and state courts, including anticorruption and government enforcement matters, trade secrets and employment disputes, foreign judgment recognition cases, agency enforcement actions, and litigation of other statutory and common law claims. Eugenie supports clients across a broad range of industries including construction and engineering services, financial services, healthcare, and hospitality.
Representative Legal Matters
- Won multimillion-dollar international arbitration award, order of rescission, and substantial award of attorneys’ fees in a Miami seat ICDR arbitration in favor of a publicly traded Australian company against sellers of an Ecuadorian subsidiary relating to the sellers’ corrupt payments to government officials.Prevailed in contested action in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida to confirm arbitral award pursuant to the Panama Convention.
- Successfully defended against indemnity and breach of contract claims asserted in a London seat ICC arbitration against Italian medical device company under component supply agreement with US-based manufacturer, including second-chairing preliminary and final merits hearings and preparing major written submissions.
- Represented multinational hotel operator in pursuing contract claims against former hotel owner in an SCC arbitration seated in Stockholm, including contributing to major written submissions and participating in final hearing (award pending).
- Successfully defended an arbitrability dispute in Texas state court, resulting in dismissal of the state court claim and referral to FINRA arbitration.
- Defended numerous customer arbitrations and prosecuted broker-dealer arbitration before FINRA, resulting in favorable settlements.
- Briefed appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit resulting in reversal and rendition in favor of a medical device company, and ultimately recovery of money damages and attorneys’ fees.
- Represented a publicly traded medical device company in several litigation matters, including state and federal court actions for breach of contract and misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Rising Star, Texas Super Lawyers, 2016-2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Phi Beta Kappa - Member
- Dallas Bar Association - Member
- State Bar of Texas - Member
- State Bar of Florida - Member
- American Bar Association - Member
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers - 2019 Committee Co-chair, Older Wiser Lawyers; 2013 Member, DAYL Leadership Class
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida~United States (2017)
- Florida~United States (2017)
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois~United States (2016)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan~United States (2016)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit~United States (2013)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit~United States (2015)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas~United States (2015)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas~United States (2013)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas~United States (2012)
- Texas~United States (2012)
- Southern Methodist University, Dedman School of Law (J.D.) (2012)
- Vanderbilt University (B.A. Political Science and East Asian Studies) (2008)
Panelist, "Beyond The Courts: Arbitration and Other Viable Mechanisms to Control Risks and Resolve Disputes," Association of Corporate Counsel, Houston Chapter, June 2019
Panelist, "Practical Tips for New Lawyers: How to Get Clients, Get Paid, and Avoid Malpractice," Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, Transition to Law Practice Program, June 2019
Author, “Ninth Circuit holds that settlement agreement entered as an order by a purported arbitrator, without attendant arbitral proceedings, is not a foreign arbitral award under the New York Convention,” International Litigation & Arbitration, Baker & McKenzie, May 2019; reprinted in Global Arbitration News, July 2019; reprinted by Lexology, July 2019
Author, “District court recognizes as preclusive final, non-appealable Singapore judgment holding that parties had no agreement to arbitrate,” International Litigation & Arbitration, Baker & McKenzie, March 2019; reprinted by Lexology, March 2019; reprinted in Global Arbitration News, April 2019
Author, “Court Affirms Substantial Arbitration Award for Del Monte Against Costa Rican Pineapple Grower,” Global Arbitration News, June 2017; reprinted by Lexology, June 2017
Author, “Fifth Circuit determines Antigua not subject to U.S. court jurisdiction under Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act in Stanford Ponzi scheme cases,” International Litigation & Arbitration, Baker & McKenzie, March 2017; reprinted by Lexology, March 2017
Author, “District court dismisses case against German defendant Deutsche Bank AG, finding diversity jurisdiction destroyed by voluntary dismissal of two other defendants essential to federal jurisdiction,” International Litigation & Arbitration, Baker & McKenzie, November 2016