Philippe Reich is a partner of Baker McKenzie Switzerland based in Zurich.
He serves as head of the Firm's Antitrust, European and International Trade Practice Group in Switzerland. Philippe is a key member of the Firm's International Trade & Commerce and Antitrust & Competition Law Practice Groups.
Philippe is regularly ranked as leader in his field in Who's Who Legal and is a recommended practitioner in Legal 500 and Chambers. In 2022, he was ranked among the top 100 foreign lawyers for India related matters.
Philippe is also the European representative on the steering committee of Baker McKenzie's Global India Practice, chairman of the Swiss-Indian Chamber of Commerce and forms the India Desk of Baker McKenzie in Switzerland.
Philippe is seasoned in Swiss antitrust, Swiss, European and international trade law, particularly export controls, trade sanctions, customs and foreign investments, as well as public regulatory. He also has a solid background in Swiss commercial and corporate law.
He regularly advises clients on antitrust and trade compliance and represents them in merger control, foreign investment as well as export controls and trade sanctions proceedings before the relevant Swiss authorities. Philippe also advises on ESG issues and cross-border investments and represents clients on inbound and outbound projects in India.
Representative Legal Matters
- Regularly advises numerous major Swiss and international clients in various sectors on antitrust and trade compliance, including compliance programs, audits and investigations.
- Set up several antitrust and trade compliance policies and guidelines.
- Provides regular antitrust, trade sanctions and export controls advice to numerous Swiss and foreign international clients, including many MNCs, in various sectors.
- Represented and advised several major Swiss and international banks on complex trade sanctions issues before the competent Swiss authorities.
- Represented and advised several international industrial, technology and healthcare companies, including many MNCs, in proceedings or voluntary disclosures before the competent Swiss authorities for alleged trade sanctions or export controls violations under several international sanctions regimes.
- Currently advises extensively numerous major Swiss and international clients in all relevant sectors, including financial, industrial and energy, on Russian sanctions as a key member of the global sanctions team.
- Regular speaker at leading Swiss trade compliance events.
- Regular contributor to leading Swiss media on trade sanctions developments and trends.
- "Notable Practitioner," Competition/Antitrust, Chambers Europe 2018-2022
- "Recommended", GCR 100 2021 - Switzerland
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Swiss Indian Chamber of Commerce - Chairman
- Competition Law Chapter of Zurich Bar Association
- Studienvereinigung Kartellrecht
- Zurich~Switzerland (1998)
- Switzerland (1998)
- College of Europe, Bruges (LL.M.) (1996)
- University of Zurich (Lic. jur.) (1994)
Regular alerts and blogs on relevant topics of his practice.
Co-author, Commentary on article 1 of the Swiss Merger Act, in: Stämpflis Handkommentar, Fusionsgesetz, 2nd Edition, 2015
Co-author, chapter on "Swiss competition and merger control laws," Frankfurter Kommentar Kartellrecht, Verlag Dr. Otto Schmidt, Cologne, 2005 and 2011
Author, Swiss chapter of "Global Merger Notification Handbook," 9th edition, Cameron May, London, 2011
Co-author, "Baker McKenzie commentary on the Federal Civil Procedure Act," Verlag Stämpfli, Berne, 2010
Author, contribution in "Schweizerisches Kartellrecht - an Wendepunkten," Verlag Dike, St. Gall, 2009
Co-author, "Baker & McKenzie commentary on the Swiss Collective Investment Schemes Act," Verlag Stämpfli, Berne, 2007 and 2009