Philippe Reich is the co-head of Baker McKenzie's Antitrust and Trade Law Practice Group, and a member of the European Competition Law, International Trade and Commercial Law and M&A and Private Equity practice groups. He is a member of the Global Steering Committee for the Firm's India Focus Group and forms the Indian Desk in Switzerland. Mr. Reich is the editor of EuroBaker and a regular contributor of the foreign trade law chapter of the Firm’s annual Entwicklungen im schweizerischen Wirtschaftsrecht. He has written numerous articles on Swiss antitrust and merger control and trade laws and the Swiss-EU bilateral relations for other legal publications.
Mr. Reich is seasoned in antitrust, European and international trade, as well as commercial and corporate law matters, including mergers, acquisitions and private equity transactions. He regularly advises clients on national and international commercial and corporate transactions, antitrust and trade compliance. He also represents them in cartel and merger control matters, as well as export control proceedings. He assists in drafting and negotiating all kinds of complex commercial and transactional agreements, including share and asset purchase agreements, distribution and franchising agreements and joint-venture agreements. Mr. Reich also regularly advises on various commercial and competition issues in corporate transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represents and advises Panalpina in the global investigation (including Swiss proceedings) in respect of an alleged cartel in the freight forwarding sector, and coordinates the global team of legal advisers.
- Represents and advises Estée Lauder in the Swiss investigation in respect of an alleged cartel in the luxury cosmetics and perfumes sector.
- Represents and advises a major international airline in the Swiss investigation in respect of an alleged cartel in the air cargo sector.
- Advises a major international airline on antitrust compliance; represented and advised a major international airline in an abuse of dominance case; and represented and advised Credit Suisse in the Swiss merger control proceeding in respect of the emergency takeover of Swissair.
- Represents and advises a major Swiss news agency in an abuse of dominance case.
- Represents and advises Socar Energy on merger control and competition law issues.
- Advises a major international travel agency on antitrust compliance.
- Advises a major international tobacco manufacturer on antitrust compliance.
- Advises a major international beer brewer on competition law issues.
- Represented and advised Bank Julius Baer in the Swiss merger control proceeding in respect of its acquisition of ING Bank Switzerland; represented and advised Crédit Agricole in the Swiss merger control proceeding in respect of a funds joint venture with BNP Paribas; and advised another major international bank on competition law issues.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Swiss Indian Chamber of Commerce
- Studienvereinigung Kartellrecht
- Zurich~Switzerland (1998)
- Switzerland (1998)
- College of Europe, Bruges (LL.M.) (1996)
- University of Zurich (Lic. jur.) (1994)