Baker & McKenzie Limited Attorneys at Law
Anan Rattanatanawat is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Dispute Resolution Practice Group in Bangkok. Prior to joining the Firm in April 2016, he was with The Legists Group of Companies where he was active in litigation and dispute resolution. He also worked in White & Case (Thailand), Thai Legal Law Office, and the Legal Aid Office of the Faculty of Law in Thammasat University.
Anan focuses on litigation and arbitration between the private and public sector. He has extensive experience in national infrastructure project disputes, construction matters and litigation arising from expressway and tollway construction and administration. He also has vast experience as lead attorney, advising on and representing clients in Thai court proceedings and local arbitration.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing and defending an expressway concessionaire company for over 15 years in a number of arbitration claims against a government authority, arising from an expressway agreement. This work includes cases of enforcement and setting-aside of arbitral awards before the administrative courts, accusations of breaches of toll review agreements, and failure to enforce and collect tolls from users on the completion opening date.
- Representing and defending an expressway concessionaire company for over 15 years on a number of arbitration claims against a government authority arising out of the operation of another expressway project agreement, including enforcement and setting-aside of arbitral awards before the administrative courts, accusations of breaches of toll review agreements, and disputes related to the competing road.
- Representing and defending a tollway concessionaire company for over 12 years in contractual disputes against a government authority and administrative disputes against certain users relating to toll increases in 2007 and 2009.
- Representing one of the major construction companies in Thailand for over 15 years in arbitration claims and court litigation against a government authority. The matters arose under a turnkey contract for the construction of an expressway project over claims for payments of variation orders and undue enrichment.
- Providing legal advice and opinions to relevant expressway and tollway concessionaire companies in relation to their respective concession agreements, construction contracts, and public-private participation laws.
- Visiting commentator on a presentation of an educational paper regarding the proposal for alternative dispute resolutions on administrative contract disputes at the Thailand National Defence College in 2014.
- Thailand (1994)
- Queensland Institute of Technology (LLM) (2001)
- The Institute of Legal Education (Barrister-at-Law) (1993)
- The Lawyers Council of Thailand (Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice Course) (1992)
- Thammasat University (LLB) (1990)
Baker & McKenzie Ltd. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.