Lewis Popoff is a partner in the Corporate and Securities Practice Group in Chicago. He advises clients on a wide range of transactional matters and has closed transactions for companies around the world in a variety of industries. Lewis sits on the Firm’s North America W&I Working Group, advising the wider North American M&A team on warranty & indemnity/representation & warranty insurance developments and best practices. He previously served as the director of knowledge management for the Firm’s North America Corporate and Securities practice group from 2005 to 2010, where his responsibilities included advising the Firm’s clients and lawyers on best practices related to M&A.
Lewis focuses on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and other strategic transactions, with an emphasis on cross-border transactions, including inbound and outbound investments to and from the United States. Lewis has acted for several major domestic and non-US healthcare, industrial, mining, packaging and technology companies on significant transactions throughout the world.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised John Bean Technologies, the NYSE listed global technology solutions provider to high-value segments of the food and beverage industries, on its acquisition of Tipper Tie, a leading provider of engineered processing and packaging solutions, from Dover Corporation.
- Advised Merit Medical Systems, the NASDAQ listed global developer, manufacturer and marketer of medical devices used in interventional and diagnostic procedures, on its acquisition of the critical care business from Argon Medical Devices.
- Advised Viscofan Group, the BME listed global leader in the manufacturing, production and distribution of casings for the meat industry, on its acquisition of privately held Vector Packaging USA and Vector Packaging Europe.
- Advised an NYSE listed global leader in mission-critical communication products and services on its manufacturing and distribution outsourcing transactions in Germany and Malaysia.
- Advised an American private equity investment firm in the US aspects of its acquisition of Consolidated Aviation Services, one of the world’s leading cargo handlers in the United States.
- Advised Bemis Company, the NYSE listed global supplier of flexible packaging, on its carve-out sale of its global MACtac adhesives business to Platinum Equity.
- Advised a multinational delivery services company on its acquisition of Bongo International, a leader in cross border enablement technologies and solutions.
- Advised Knauf Insulation, the German multinational insulation manufacturer, on its carve-out acquisition of Guardian Insulation from Guardian Industries Corp.
- Advised an NYSE listed coal mining multinational on acquisition and development opportunities in Mongolia and on the sale of its coal properties and related mining assets in Colorado, Illinois and New Mexico, USA.
- Advised Iluka Resources Limited, the ASX listed Australian mining multinational, on a titanium development and processing joint venture with Vale SA, involving the Tapira mining complex in Brazil.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association – Member
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation – Member
- Illinois~United States (1998)
- Indiana University (MBA) (1998)
- Indiana University School of Law (J.D. cum laude) (1998)
- University of Michigan (B.A. Business Administration high distinction) (1994)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.