Maria Piontkovska is an associate in Baker McKenzie's Los Angeles office. Maria advises clients on reducing anti-corruption compliance risks stemming from operating business in emerging markets and handles internal investigations and related interactions with law enforcement authorities.
Maria’s practice focuses on global corporate compliance and investigations, as well as white collar criminal matters. She represents domestic and international corporate clients in a broad range of compliance matters, including criminal investigations, before the US Department of Justice, the US Securities and Exchange Commission, and other government agencies.
Representative Legal Matters
- Obtained a declination from the DOJ for a US company in an FCPA investigation into allegations of bribery in Mexico.
- Conducted due diligence on potential M&A targets for a Netherlands-based multinational telecommunications company with mandatory reporting obligations to DOJ and SEC.
- Served on the US support legal team for a European monitor in connection with a deferred prosecution agreement with DOJ.
- Conducted internal investigations for US and European companies in various countries, including Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, South Africa, Mongolia and the Philippines.
- Designed a compliance program for a Fortune 500 company's local joint venture in Saudi Arabia.
- Conducted a global anti-corruption risk assessment of a Fortune 500 industrial tools manufacturer.
- California~United States (2021)
- District of Columbia~United States (2018)
- New York~United States (2017)
- Georgetown University Law Center (JD) (2016)
- Taras Shevchenko Kyiv National University (LLB, magna cum laude) (2013)
- Washington, DC
- Co-author, "Comparing the Antitrust Division's New Compliance Policy with the Criminal Division's Updated Policy," Bloomberg Law, 22 August 2019
- Co-author, "Two to Tango: Attacking the Demand Side of Bribery," The American Interest, 17 December 2018
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.