Michelle is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie's Banking & Finance Practice Group in Mexico. She practiced in the Firm's Venezuela office before transferring to Mexico City in 2015. She has substantial experience in lending, project finance, domestic and cross-border credit transactions as well as financial regulatory issues.
Michelle focuses her practice in structuring of guarantees, loans, advice to clients on the regulatory framework in banking matters and stock market. She has experience in lending, project finance, domestic and cross-border credit transactions and financial regulatory issues.
Representative Legal Matters
- Michelle was part of the team that represented Betterware in its corporate restructure and the merger of its holding entities into its operating entity, while negotiating applicable adjustments to its credit facility and security interests with Credit Suisse and Acon Investments LP.
- Assisted Apple Leisure Group, as borrower, on the guarantees under the first lien credit agreement with Credit Suisse AG for USD 916 million term loans and USD 187 million revolving loans.
- Assisted Banco Lafise Bancentro S.A. to negotiate a facility granted by Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC, now known as DFC "Development Finance Corporation") for the expansion of the Lafise's portfolio of SME loans, SME leasing, consumer leasing and housing plans in Nicaragua.
- Advised a US automotive company (through Mexican subsidiaries) in the factoring of receivables with Hitachi Capital.
- Assisted the consortium Grupo Via Central, S.A., in the financing for USD 855 million granted by IDB Invest, CAF, CAF-AM, Sumitomo Mitsui and Intesa Sanpaolo to finance the development, construction and maintenance of 272 km of railway from Paso de los Toros to Montevideo (Uruguay).
- Advised International Automotive Corporation (through Mexican affiliates) in the financing granted by Banco Nacional de Comercio Exterior, SNC, Institución de Banca de Desarrollo (Bancomext), for working capital needs.
- Advised The Korea Development Bank in several financings granted to Mexican subsidiaries of Korean automobile entities for working capital needs.
- Advised Weatherford International plc with the Mexican guarantees under the issuance of 6.500% senior secured first lien notes due 2028 up to a principal amount of USD 500 million for the payment of all the outstanding amounts under the issuance of 8.75% senior secured first lien notes due 2024 issued on August 28, 2020.
- Assisted Banobras, as lender, in the negotiation and financing process of a MXD 2.2 billion (approximately USD 110 Million) syndicated loan to Mota-Engil Mexico, S.A.P.I. de C.V. (MEM) for the overhaul of existing equipment and infrastructure, and the construction of a new rail line and associated facilities for the Phase 1, Palenque – Escárcega, of the Tren Maya (Maya Rail) project in southern Mexico.
- Advised a Swiss private banking corporation on the implications under Mexican securities law of the offering by a Mexican investment advisor to Mexican investors of investment in real estate properties in the US.
- Prepared the country manual of Mexico for a Luxembourg private bank to address the cross-border regulatory risk for the bank resulting from its interaction with prospects, clients and their authorized representatives resident or physically present in Mexico.
- Advised several private investment funds, private banks and securities brokers on the offering of foreign securities within Mexican territory and applicable regulatory restrictions.
- Mexico (2016)
- Venezuela (2012)
- Universidad Monteavila (Law Degree) (2012)
Baker & McKenzie Abogados, S.C. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.