Jonathan chairs the firm's Financial Institutions Global Industry Group and is a partner in the London Dispute Resolution practice.
Jonathan has deep experience in advising boards, executive teams and individuals dealing with issues of market integrity, ethics, brand and reputation impact, conduct risk, whistleblowing, market misconduct, systems and controls failings and remediation, public statements and investor relations, financial crime, fraud, regulatory investigation and enforcement, public policy, public law and civil and criminal litigation. Jonathan's substantial in-house experience delivers a highly strategic and commercial focus aimed at re-establishing confidence in the brand and individuals.
Jonathan joined Baker McKenzie from Barclays Bank PLC. Spanning a decade of unique pressure in the financial sector amidst the global financial crisis, he led the global litigation, investigations and enforcement function and established the bank's financial crime legal team. Jonathan was responsible for a series of high-profile regulatory and criminal investigations in EMEA, the US and Asia Pacific regions and led a significant portfolio of wholesale and retail litigation. Supporting the bank's risk and compliance functions, he implemented and improved systems and controls in respect of money laundering, bribery and corruption, fraud and international sanctions. Jonathan worked with UK and US law enforcement and government intelligence agencies on counter-terrorism, organised crime and other domestic and international security initiatives.
Jonathan is the contributing author to a number of leading legal and sector publications, including: Banks and Financial Crime: International Law of Tainted Money (Oxford University Press 2008, 2016); Global Investigations Review - The Evolution of Risk Management in Global Investigations (GIR 2016, 2017, 2018); and Risk.net's annual Top 10 Operational Risks (2018-2022).
In his current role, Jonathan handles high-profile litigation, investigations, regulatory enforcement and financial crime defence matters. He also advises on the consequences: governance and control spanning the legal, compliance, risk and audit worlds; designing and implementing risk management strategies and control frameworks; developing investigative capability to enable clients to deliver comprehensive, cost-effective and credible investigation and resolution, with the emphasis on effective risk reporting and strong regulatory engagement and investor/public relations.
Jonathan has particular experience of working on matters involving the UK Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority, UK Serious Fraud Office, UK Crown Prosecution Service, UK Competition and Markets Authority, EU Competition Commission, Ofcom, New York Federal Reserve Bank, US Securities and Exchange Commission, US Department of Justice, FBI, Saudi Capital Markets Authority, Security and Futures Authority of Hong Kong and the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
He has worked in close partnership with UK Government departments including Treasury, Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Home Office, National Crime Agency, Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre, Combined Security Services, and the Metropolitan and City of London Police Services.
Jonathan was praised by Legal 500 UK Guide in the Regulatory Investigations & Corporate Crime category for his 'huge experience in the regulatory sector, coming in part from his previous senior legal role at a bank', and 'lifetime of experience at the top-end of regulatory law’. Chambers & Partners Crisis Management UK Guide 2022 lists Jonathan as a 'notable practitioner'.
Representative Legal Matters
Jonathan's significant investigations and enforcement actions include:
- FSA/FCA and SFO investigations into Barclays’ capital-raising agreements with the Qatari sovereign wealth fund and subsequent prosecutions
- Bribery and corruption investigation and self-report to UK and US law enforcement agencies and remediation programmes for a UK listed company
- Investigation, multi-authority regulatory enforcement defence and remediation programme on listing rules matter for executives of a UK listed bank
- Investigation, US and UK regulatory reporting and remediation programme on sanctions compliance matters for executives of a UK listed bank
- Investigation and regulatory engagement on sovereign ratings methodologies for a credit rating agency
- UK Rail Accident and Investigation Branch post-incident safety investigations for a major UK rail infrastructure and maintenance supplier
- Security and extraction advice for executives and family members of a US company
Jonathan's significant litigation matters include:
- Representing Barclays Bank PLC, with other retail banks, in a landmark consumer test case concerning the application of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 to current account terms and conditions
- Representing a global law firm in professional negligence actions involving the private equity, automotive and banking sectors
- Acting for Barclays Bank PLC in the British Bankers' Association's challenge to the Financial Services Authority’s approach to principle-based redress schemes
- England & Wales (1994)