Andrew is an associate in Baker McKenzie London's Corporate Department where he focuses on major project development and corporate transactions in the energy, mining and infrastructure sectors.
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Andrew worked as an Analyst at a leading South African independent power producer which focused on utility scale renewable energy project development and strategic renewable energy acquisitions across Africa.
Andrew focuses on the representation of clients in the resources and energy sectors throughout Europe, Africa, the CIS and the Middle East. His practice covers the broad range of traditional energy, infrastructure and mining projects but also includes energy transition matters such as strategic mineral projects, renewable energy projects, sustainable energy procurement (such as hydrogen, corporate PPA's and carbon capture and storage) and carbon finance.
His experience includes joint ventures, project development, commercial contracts (including offtake and supply contracts), M&A and restructuring transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising an industrial manufacturing company on its green hydrogen procurement pursuant to the UK governments low carbon hydrogen standard.
- Acting for Hutchison Ports in respect to its joint venture for the development and operation of two container port terminals located in Egypt arising from its concession arrangements with the Egyptian government.
- Advising a Caribbean electricity utility on its offtake and interconnection arrangements with a waste to energy IPP.
- Advising a global middle eastern petrochemicals company on the development of its world scale blue hydrogen and ammonia complex.
- Advised Suez on the sale of its UK waste-treatment business (including its energy from waste assets) from Veolia Environnement SA to its former owner, Suez SA for c.GBP 2 billion.
- Advising a Caribbean electricity utility in respect of a power purchase agreement for a combined solar + battery storage project.
- Advising a South African independent power producer in relation to a proposed 50MW solar PV corporate PPA.
- Advising ZCCM Investments Holding PLC ("ZCCM") on its copper offtake arrangements with Glencore as part of the greater acquisition by ZCCM of Glencore's equity interest in the Mopani copper mine based in Zambia.
- Advising a global mining company in respect to its proposed long term offtake contract for grade 1 nickel from a mine located in South America.
- Advising an investor in respect to its nature based emissions reduction investment into a large-scale coral reef rehabilitation project in Asia Pacific.
- Advising L’oreal Fund for Nature Regeneration (managed by Mirova) on its investments in emission reduction projects, including a long term forward prepayment structure for projects in Colombia and South East Asia.
- Advising a Canadian infrastructure fund on its acquisition of a portfolio of rooftop solar installations located in England and Scotland.
- Advising Muntajat in respect of a ten year supply and distribution agreement with Sirius Minerals for the offtake of polyhalite fertilizer.
- Advising The National Titanium Dioxide Company (Cristal) on the sale of its metal grade titanium chloride ("MGT") production plant in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Advised on the asset purchase agreement, the MGT offtake agreement, the JV agreement and various ancillary services agreements. The sale of the MGT plant formed part of the greater acquisition of Cristal by Tronox Limited.
- Advising Westinghouse in respect to its joint venture and licensing arrangements in the UK in respect to nuclear waste management.
- Advising a financial investor in the middle east in respect to its investment, joint venture and licensing arrangements with a company developing proprietary flue gas conversion technology.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of South Africa
- High Court of South Africa (2019)
- University of Cape Town (LLB) (2014)
- University of Cape Town (Bachelor of Science) (2011)