Geraldine is head of the Corporate Real Estate practice in Singapore and a member of the Firm's Global Real Estate Steering Committee and Asia Pacific Real Estate Community as the Asia Pacific co-chair and the Joint Asian Offices co-PGL. She is also a member of Baker McKenzie's Asia-Pacific Data Centre Focus Group.
She has over 30 years of experience in corporate real estate work and leading legal directories Chambers Asia Pacific and Legal 500 Asia Pacific have both recognised Geraldine as a leading lawyer in the Singapore real estate market, noting that she is "a very commercially minded practitioner". A client appreciates that "she takes a very common-sense approach to dealing with things, understands business needs, and does a great job of taking control and ownership of things." A pleased client also explains that "she is prompt, responsive and gives quality advice, she is not easily ruffled, and she can handle negotiations extremely well."
Geraldine has extensive experience in complex real estate matters over a wide industry practice groups. She is sought after by clients in the application to JTC, Singapore's largest industrial landlord and statutory board under the Ministry of Trade and Industry, for industrial land in Singapore. She was once a legal advisor with JTC and the Singapore Technologies group of companies.
Geraldine works regularly with property developers, including Chinese and South East Asian developers, REITs, global multinationals, Asian conglomerates, and high net worth individuals.
In addition to having an impressive track record in the Singapore real estate market, Geraldine has deep cross-border experience that spans across Asia Pacific, Europe, UK, South Africa, and the Middle East. She has worked extensively on matters related to various industry groups such as digital transformation, health sciences, consumer goods and retail, and ESG, infrastructure & renewable energy.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for Seagate Singapore, one of the leading providers of data storage technology and solutions, in the sale-and-leaseback of its integrated high-specification R&D facility and business park property to SGX-listed CapitaLand Ascendas REIT for SGD 218.2 million.
- Advised China National Bluestar on its disposal of 100% of the equity interests in REC Solar, a pioneering Norwegian solar energy company with manufacturing and operational hubs all over the world, to Reliance Industries for an enterprise value of USD 771 million.
- Advised a global technology company on real estate and construction-related matters across various Asia Pacific jurisdictions, including: (i) the renewal, negotiation and expansion of its office leases; (ii) the review of construction consultancy contracts for fit-out works; (iii) the review of service agreements; and (iv) the review of and negotiations on new and renewal membership agreements with shared work space providers.
- Assisted a Chinese pharmaceutical and medical device company on the set up of their first regional headquarters and a large scale R&D and manufacturing hub in Singapore.
- Acted for a Saudi conglomerate in a SGD 315 million direct asset acquisition and financing of a 4-storey retail podium and 3-storey of office space at Chevron House, the iconic property located at Raffles Place, the heart of the Central Business District of Singapore. This asset acquisition is the client's maiden transaction in Singapore.
- Acted for Ascendas REIT (now merged with CapitaLand Limited) on the acquisition and financing of a SGD 181.2 million build-to-suit development project, which will be used as a multinational technology company's new headquarters in Singapore. This is the technology company's first dedicated physical facility and its largest R&D centre.
- Acted for a Swiss multinational investment bank as anchor tenant in the review and negotiations of a long term lease and fitting out of the whole Grade A premium office building located in Singapore's commercial and shopping hub. This was one of the largest commercial lease transaction by far in 2019.
- Acted for an international electrical products manufacturer in the review and negotiations of the design and building contracts for the fitting out and A&A works, in respect to the client's new corporate global headquarters in Singapore.
- Acted for a US based data centre service provider to: (i) acquire a greenfield site in Taiwan; (ii) provide regulatory advice and creative solutions for the acquisition of a slope land; and (iii) provide innovative and scalable wholesale data centre campuses to hyperscalers and cloud providers in North America.
- Advised a Chinese multinational technology company in the structuring of a potential data centre transaction in Singapore as part of the client's expansion initiatives involving the construction of new data centers in Singapore, including advising the client on the relevant prevailing JTC policies on transfer of JTC leases and the moratorium typically imposed by JTC in relation to transfer of JTC leases.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Singapore - Member
- Singapore Academy of Law - Member
- Singapore Glass Association - Legal Advisor
- National University of Singapore, School of Design & Environment Advancement Advisory - Advisory Board Council Member
- Singapore (1987)
- National University of Singapore (LLB) (1986)