Ayako Okada is a member of the Corporate/M&A Group at the Firm’s Tokyo office. Prior to joining the Firm, Ayako worked at global financial institutions, a large domestic law firm and a global law firm, among others.
Ayako’s practice focuses on knowledge management in the fields of M&A and joint ventures and in the areas of corporate, securities and labor law.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a domestic bank on the financial regulatory aspects of its acquisition of all of the shares of a global financial institution's banking and credit card businesses.
- Advised a director at a global company on a labor issue.
- Advised global financial institutions on internal investigations related to interbank transactions (LIBOR and FX).
- Represented Japanese and foreign asset management companies in connection with securities issuance and continuous disclosure obligations under the Financial Instruments and Exchange Act.
- Advised and prepared and reviewed documentation for global financial institutions related to various financial laws, including the Banking Act, the Financial Instruments and Exchange Act, the Money Lending Business Act, the Trust Business Act and the Act on Prevention of Transfer of Criminal Proceeds.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Daiichi Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- California Lawyers Association - Member
- California~United States (2018)
- Japan (2004)
- University of California, Berkeley School of Law (LLM) (2013)
- The University of Tokyo Graduate Schools for Law and Politics (Master of Laws) (1998)
- Tokyo Metropolitan University (BA (Law)) (1996)
- Co-author, "Contractual Terminology Dictionary (Revised Version)," Shin-Nihon Hoki Syuppan, January 2020
- Co-author, "Case Study and Legal Advice on Troublemaking Employees," Shin-Nihon Hoki Syuppan, November 2013
- Co-author, "Contractual Terminology Dictionary," Shin-Nihon Hoki Syuppan, August 2011
- Co-author, "Trust and Bankruptcy," Shoji Homu, August 2008
- Co-author, "Japanese Business Law," Kluwer Law International, December 2007
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.