Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise)
Mami Ohara is a member of the Firm's Corporate and Mergers & Acquisitions practice group. She advises Japanese and international companies on global and domestic corporate reorganizations, cross-border compliance, mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and corporate governance matters. Mami practiced in the Firm's Chicago and London offices for three years before returning to the Firm’s Tokyo Office in 2016. She is also a steering committee member of the Tokyo Office's Corporate Reorganization Group and Healthcare / Life Sciences Industry Group.
Mami has worked on a range of cross-border corporate matters, including compliance, corporate reorganizations, mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures. She also serves as a member of the Firm's Healthcare / Life Sciences Industry Group, and handles corporate regulatory matters in relation to the healthcare industry.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a US pharmaceutical company on the spinoff of its bioscience business into a new NYSE-listed company.
- Advised a Japanese insurance company on its USD5.7 billion cash merger with a NYSE-listed US life insurance company.
- Advised a US pharmaceutical company on the USD5.3 billion sale to another US pharmaceutical company of a portfolio of branded specialty and generic drugs in developed markets outside the United States.
- Advised a major Japanese cosmetics company on its tender offer for a US cosmetics company.
- Advised a global automotive company in connection with its US Securities Exchange Act reporting obligations.
- Advised on the Japanese legal implementation of the separation of a US pharmaceutical company’s research-based pharmaceutical business into another US entity.
- Advised a major Japanese pharmaceutical company on a global corporate and tax restructuring matter.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- Japan Federation of Bar Associations - Member
- Foreign Registered Lawyer (gaikokuho jimu bengoshi)~Japan (2023)
- New York~United States (2009)
- Cornell Law School (LL.M., (Editor, Cornell International Law Journal)) (2008)
- Keio University Law School (J.D.) (2007)
- Keio University (LL.B.) (2002)
- Co-author, "Legal and tax practices on conducting business in Asia – from business start-up to expansion and withdrawal," Chuokeizai-sha, August 2011, Language: Japanese
- Co-author, "How to Deal with Zeus – Advocacy of Parallel Proceedings from an Investor’s Perspective," 25-10 Mealey’s Int. Arb. Rep. 18, 2010
- Speaker and Panelist, "Emerging Trade Opportunities with Japan - Abenomics and Recent Legal Developments," Trade Seminar hosted by JETRO Chicago, the Japan America Society of Chicago and Baker & McKenzie LLP, 23 January 2014, Language: English
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.