Brendan O'Grady is a member of Baker McKenzie's Litigation & Government Enforcement Practice Group in Toronto. He advises on commercial litigation and international commercial arbitration matters with an emphasis on class action defence and fraud. He practiced exclusively in class proceedings for several years, acting in numerous national and global matters. He is active in Baker McKenzie's Commercial Litigation Group and Class Actions Sub-Group. He is a contributor to the Baker McKenzie Doing Business in Canada Guide, CanadianFraudLaw.com, GlobalClassActionsBlog.com, GlobalArbitrationsNews.com and Restructuring.BakerMcKenzie.com.
Brendan has acted in commercial litigation matters involving fraud and asset recovery, all manner of contractual disputes, as well as jurisdictional disputes, shareholder disputes, negligence actions and economic tort actions. He has acted on class proceedings spanning numerous fields including online services and privacy breaches, price-fixing, product liability, employment standards and consumer protection. He has appeared before the courts of Ontario and Alberta, and has acted on domestic and international arbitrations under the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented an Ontario regulatory agency in civil proceedings to recover assets in Canada and abroad.
- Represented a private US railway company in civil proceedings involving conflicts of laws.
- Represented a Swiss medical device manufacturer in civil proceedings involving a jurisdiction dispute.
- Represented a Japanese film capacitor manufacturer in multi-jurisdictional class proceedings involving alleged price-fixing.
- Acted in class proceedings claiming USD 750 million in damages against a telecommunications company for allegedly improper use of customer metadata.
- Acted in class proceedings claiming USD 500 million in damages arising from the collapse of a major cryptocurrency exchange.
- Acted in class proceedings claiming USD 50 million in damages arising from a series of cyberattacks on a web services provider and alleged resultant customer data breaches.
- Acted in class proceedings involving the assertion of employment rights by amateur athletes in Canada and the United States.
- Represented a state-owned mining company in major international commercial arbitration concerning contractual disputes.
- Represented a private US railway company in major international commercial arbitration concerning operational rights.
Professional Associations and Memberships
• Law Society of Ontario
• Advocates' Society
• Toronto Lawyers Association
• Ontario Bar Association
• Canadian Bar Association
• International Bar Association
- Ontario~Canada (2014)
- University of Western Ontario (JD) (2013)
- Queen's University (MA) (2009)
- Queen's University (BA Honours) (2008)
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an Ontario limited liability partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.