Jason has more than 20 years of experience advising clients on the structuring and formation of a broad spectrum of fund products, ranging from open-ended retail funds, to closed ended private investment funds, as well as listed funds and REITs.
Jason's current practice focuses on private investment funds, particularly in the real estate sector. He advises private equity fund managers on the structuring, formation and marketing of such funds, as well as the regulatory, operational, compliance and corporate governance matters arising from the operation of such funds. He also advises investors and LPs on fund investments and co-investments.
Representative Legal Matters
- Gaw Capital Partners: formation of Gateway Real Estate Funds I, II, III, IV and V, which collectively raised USD 3.7 billion in capital commitments globally for PE real estate investments in the Asia Pacific region; formation of Gateway Hospitality Fund I, a USD 150 million real estate fund focused on hospitality investments in the Asia Pacific region; formation of numerous co-investment funds and separate accounts vehicles.
- One of Asia's largest real estate companies: formation of a USD 1.5 billion PE real estate club fund focused on investments in mixed-use developments and commercial projects in China.
- APG, NPS and CBREGI: formation of a consortium PE investment vehicle, and advising on its buy-out of CBRE Asia Retail Fund.
- APG: USD 650 million commitment to e-Shang via a minority investment in e-Shang and creation of a strategic JV with e-Shang to develop and own institutional grade logistic assets in China.
- APG: establishment of a USD 500 million Korean logistics development platform with CPPIB, e-Shang and Kendall Square Logistics Properties.
- CPPIB: investment in Vankic China Real Estate Fund, a China focused PE real estate fund managed by China Vanke and Kinetic Investment.
- China Overseas Land & Investment Ltd. and ICBC International: formation of Harmony China Real Estate Funds I and II.
- Evergreen Real Estate Partners: formation of Everview Capital Partners, LP, a PE real estate fund focused on real estate investments in Asia.
- SK Group: establishment of Prostar Capital, a JV global fund management platform with Freshwater Capital, and formation of Prostar Global Natural Resources Fund I and Prostar Global Energy Infrastructure Fund I.
- Taubman Asia Investments: formation of TPA Hanam Union Square Holdings LP, a PE real estate investment fund formed to invest in a JV with Shinsegae to own, develop and operate a super-regional mall in Korea.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales
- Law Society of Hong Kong
- Law Society of Singapore
- Hong Kong (2002)
- England & Wales (non-practicing)~United Kingdom (2001)
- Singapore (1993)
- National University of Singapore (LL.B.) (1992)