Jason Ng is co-head of Baker McKenzie’s Global Funds Group. He is also the Head of the Financial Services practice for the Firm's Hong Kong, China and Singapore offices. Jason graduated from the National University of Singapore with an LL.B., and is admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong, England and Wales, and Singapore.
Jason has over 25 years of experience advising clients on the structuring and formation of a broad spectrum of fund products. Jason practices mainly in the areas of private investment funds. He advises private equity fund managers on the structuring, formation and marketing of such funds, as well as the regulatory, operational, compliance and corporate governance matters arising from the operation of such funds. He also advises investors and LPs on fund investments and co-investments.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Gaw Capital Partners on the structuring and formation of Gateway Real Estate Fund I, II, III, IV, V and VI which collectively raised USD 5.15 billion for PE real estate investments in Greater China and the Asia Pacific region; advised on the structuring and formation of numerous co-investment funds.
- Advised Gaw Capital Partners on the formation of two consortiums, which bid for and successfully acquired a portfolio of 17 Hong Kong shopping centers for HKD 23 billion (in 2017) and a portfolio of 12 Hong Kong shopping centers for HKD 12.01 billion (in 2019), from Link REIT; also advised Gaw Capital Partners on the structuring and formation of various related co-investment vehicles for these transactions.
- Advised APG Asset Management on the establishment of and investment into multiple investment platforms with real estate fund managers, including ESR's logistics platforms in China, Korea and Japan, Greystar's rental housing platforms in China and Australia, and advised APG on its USD 350 million investment into Chindata Group, a leading operator of hyperscale data centres in Asia.
- Advised CapitaLand on the formation of a USD 1.5 billion PE real estate club fund focused on mixed-use developments and commercial projects in China, and the formation of a series of project specific funds investing in commercial real estate developments in Vietnam with government linked investors from Japan and the Middle East.
- Represented Canada Pension Plan Investment Board on its joint venture-type platform investments with prominent Asia-based fund managers including, Logos Singapore Logistics Venture L.P. (SGD 200 million), Logos Indonesia Logistics Venture L.P. (USD 100 million) and CPPIB-Alpha DC Fund (USD 250 million).
- Advised Taubman Asia on the formation of a KRW 585 billion private fund to develop and operate a super-regional mall in Korea, and the subsequent restructuring of the fund to facilitate admission of a Blackstone Group managed vehicle into the fund and the corresponding acquisition of a stake in the management company.
- Advised Bank of China Group Investment on the formation of a HKD 2 billion private real estate fund to acquire a portfolio of commercial real estate assets in Hong Kong.
- Advised a consortium of pension fund investors on the formation of a PE investment vehicle and on its buy-out of CBRE Asia Retail Fund.
- Leading Lawyer (Investment Funds (International Firms), China/Hong Kong) – Chambers Asia Pacific (2011-2021)
- Leading Lawyer (Investment Funds, Hong Kong) – Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2021)
- Leading Lawyer (Investment Funds, Hong Kong) – IFLR 1000 (2012-2021)
- Leading Lawyer (Private Equity, Hong Kong) – IFLR 1000 (2015-2021)
- Leading Lawyer (Mergers and Acquisitions, Hong Kong) – IFLR 1000 (2015-2021)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales
- Law Society of Hong Kong
- Law Society of Singapore
- Hong Kong (2002)
- England & Wales (non-practicing)~United Kingdom (2001)
- Singapore (1993)
- National University of Singapore (LL.B.) (1992)
Baker & McKenzie, a Hong Kong partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.