Dr. Michaela Nebel is a partner in the Frankfurt office of Baker McKenzie. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie she studied law at the University of Passau. She obtained her Doctor of Law degree on a topic related to privacy in the Web 2.0. From July until December 2014 she practiced at the San Francisco office of Baker McKenzie. She is a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), since May 2015 a Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E) and since May 2017 a Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US). She is also the author of numerous articles on information technology law, in particular on data protection law and e-commerce law, and the co-author of an English language commentary on the EU General Data Protection Regulation.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising numerous globally operating companies from various industries on the implementation of the GDPR as well as on international data transfers.
- Advising several globally operating companies on proceedings with the data protection authorities and on legal disputes regarding the GDPR.
- Advising several globally operating companies on the implementation of eSignatures.
- Advising a global operating financial institution on the acquisition of a provider of payment gateway software.
- Seconded for two years to a large financial institution to advise on the implementation of the GDPR and on data protection law in general.
- Advising a global operating automobile manufacturer on questions concerning data protection law in connection with the development of driver assistance systems.
- TOP lawyer 2020 for "IT law", WirtschaftsWoche, 2020
- Germany's best lawyers 2020 for "data protection", Handelsblatt
- Germany's best lawyers 2021 and 2022 for "data protection" and "information technology", Handelsblatt
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US) (2017)
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E) (2015)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Germany (2011)
- Higher Regional Court of Munich (2011)
- University of Passau (2010)
- University of Passau (2008)
- San Francisco
- Co-author (with Johannes Doeveling), "KI-VO-Entwurf: Vorschlag zur Regulierung künstlicher Intelligenz", Baker McKenzie Kompass, March 2022
- Co-author, "TMT Looking Ahead Tech Regulation and Compliance", Baker McKenzie report, March 2022
- Co-author (with Katja Häferer und Aileen Zengler), "Whistleblower-Richtlinie - Umsetzungsfrist ist abgelaufen", Baker McKenzie Kompass, January 2022
- Co-author (with Benjamin Slinn, Brian Hengesbaugh, et al.), "Data Protection Day - Key developments and looking ahead to 2022", January 2022
- Co-author (with Lukas Feiler and Nikolaus Forgo), "The EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR): A Commentary" second edition, October 2021
- Co-author (with Lothar Determann, Helena Engfeldt, Flávia Rebello und Kensaku Takase), "Standardizing data-processing agreements globally", IAPP, The Privacy Advisor, September 28, 2021
Firm Committee Memberships
- Head of Industry Group TMT GER
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Matthias Scholz, Dr. Thomas Schänzle, Dr. Christian Vocke
Baker McKenzie Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH von Rechtsanwälten und Steuerberatern is registered with the Local Court of Frankfurt/Main (registered seat) HRB 123975. It is associated with Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.