Dr. Michaela Nebel is a partner in the Frankfurt office of Baker McKenzie. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie she studied law at the University of Passau. She obtained her Doctor of Law degree on a topic related to privacy in the Web 2.0. From July until December 2014 she practiced at the San Francisco office of Baker McKenzie. She is a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) and since May 2015 a Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E) and since May 2017 a Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US). She is also the author of numerous articles on information technology law, in particular on data protection law and e-commerce law, and the co-author of an English language commentary on the EU General Data Protection Regulation.
In 2017/2018, Michaela received several recommendations for data protection law in kanzleimonitor.de.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising several globally operating companies from various industries on the implementation of the GDPR as well as on proceedings with the data protection authorities and on legal disputes regarding the GDPR.
- Advising several globally operating companies on the implementation of eSignatures.
- Seconded to a large financial institution to advise on the implementation of the GDPR and data protection law in general for two years.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US) (2017)
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E) (2015)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Germany (2011)
- Higher Regional Court of Munich (2011)
- University of Passau (2010)
- University of Passau (2008)
- San Francisco
Author, "Free Flow of Data", IT-Rechtsberater, May 2019, p. 113-115
Co-author, “U.S. Cloud Act – clouds gathering over the General Data Protection Regulation?,” Computer und Recht, June 2018, p. 408-412
Co-author, “The EU General Data Proetection Regulation (GDPR): A Commentary,” February 2018
Speaker, "Data protection issues when using cookies and similar technologies", DGRI, Fachausschuss Internet & eCommerce, Frankfurt, December 2019
Speaker, "Vendors: contracting and auditing in practice", IAPP Data Protection Intensive Deutschland 2019, Munich, September 2019
Speaker, "Free Flow of Data", DAVIT, Deutscher IT-Rechtstag, Berlin, April 2019