Javier Ordoñez Namihira has more than 15 years of experience in the practice of tax law with a strong international focus and has recently (2019) been considered as one of the "Up-and-coming individuals" by Chambers & Partners in the area of Private Wealth Law in Mexico. He joined Baker McKenzie, Mexico City in 2004 and he was recently assigned to practice from the Baker McKenzie Miami office (01/18 - 01/19). He is a frequent speaker at national and international seminars.
Representative Legal Matters
Advised one of the US’ largest providers of secured non-recourse loans in the purchase of a Mexican group of companies engaged in the pawnshop industry.
Designed legal and tax guidelines for personnel in the insurance and private banking industry to cope with PE issues, personal taxation, and avoid risks of aiding & abetting prospective clients in tax fraud and related offenses.
Developed and implemented a tax efficient strategy for a foreign company in the entertainment industry aimed at obtaining preferential tax treatment on income from public shows in Mexico.
Advised a client in the flavor & fragrance industry as to the feasibility of reorganizing its business operations and achieve streamlined tax results.
Represented non-profit educational, animal protection and religious organizations in obtaining authorization from the Mexican treasury to receive donations that may be deducted for income tax purposes, and advised on maintaining their tax compliance status.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Fiscal Association
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Mexican Bar (Barra Mexicana Colegio de Abogados)
- Mexico (2007)
- Georgetown University Law Center (LL.M. Taxation) (2011)
- Georgetown University Law Center (CLE International Aspects of Taxation Seminar) (2010)
- Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (Post Graduate Diploma Tax) (2009)
- Universidad Iberoamericana, A.C. (J.D.) (2007)
- Co-author, "Chambers Global Practice Guide - Private Wealth (Mexico Chapter)" 2017-2020
- Author, "Transparencia y Cumplimiento en un Ámbito Fiscal Internacional", El Economista, Mayo 2019
- Author, "Tax Transparency and Reporting in Mexico", Tax Notes International, June 2018
- Co-author, "News Analysis: A Closer Look at the Mexico-U.S. FATCA Agreement", Tax Notes International, January 2013
- Co-author, "US and Mexico Sign Bilateral FATCA Intergovernmental Agreement", Practical Latin American Tax Strategies y Practical Mexican Tax Strategies de Thomson Reuters, December 2012
- Co-author, "Tax Treaties", Practical Mexican Tax Strategies de Thomson Reuters, October 2012