Samantha Mobley is a senior partner in the Competition, Trade & Foreign Investment Practice of Baker & McKenzie's London office and a member of the London office Management Committee. She is a former chair of Baker McKenzie's Global Antitrust and Competition Group, a team of over 300 competition and antitrust specialists worldwide. Samantha is a member of Baker McKenzie's India Steering Committee.
Samantha has extensive experience in all areas of EU and UK competition law. She is an experienced merger control specialist and regularly advises the boards of UK plcs in numerous industry sectors on antitrust compliance matters. Samantha also represents clients in foreign investment review cases.
Representative Legal Matters
- Sika, the Swiss multinational specialty chemical company, to acquire MBCC Group, the former BASF Construction Chemicals, from an affiliate of Lone Star Funds, a global private equity firm, for a consideration of EUR 5.2 billion.
- Advised a tech client as a third party on Nvidia's proposed USD 40 billion acquisition of Arm, the British chip designer, from SoftBank until the deal was abandoned, given the regulatory roadblocks.
- Advised Unilever on the acquisition of two U.S. companies, adding to Unilever’s developing portfolio in the high-growth premium skincare and wellness segments, one of their strategic priorities.
- Advised Silver Lake, the global leader in technology investing, on the acquisition of shareholding in RAC, the UK's leading breakdown assistance service, with Silver Lake become a co-shareholder alongside GIC and CVC.
- Advised on ICU Medical's acquisition of Smiths Medical, the healthcare business of Smiths Group plc to create a leading infusion therapy company with combined revenues of approximately USD 2.5 billion.
- Advised the Tata Group on the global merger control aspects of its purchase of Air India from the Government of India.
- Advising on the current 12 month market study into music streaming by the UK Competition and Markets Authority.
- Representing Unichem Laboratories Limited and Niche Generics Limited in its appeal to the European Court of Justice in the Servier patent settlement case.
- Regularly represents clients seeking clearance for transactions from the Investment and Security Unit under the National Security and Investment Act.
- Ranked as an Eminent Practitioner for competition law, Chambers & Partners 2023
- Global Elite Thought Leader", Who's Who Legal 2022
- Recommended as a Global Leader in Who's Who Legal Foreign Investment Review 2021
- Top Twenty EMPower Advocate, EMPower Ethnic Minority Role Models 2020
Professional Associations and Memberships
- UK Competition and Markets Authority at the ICN (International Competition Network) - Non-Governmental Adviser
- American Bar Association - Member of the Antitrust Section
- International Bar Association - Senior Vice Chair, Antitrust Section
- City of London Law Society - Member, Competition Committee
- Law Society of England & Wales - Past Chair, Competition Section Committee
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1993)
- King's College London (Post Graduate Diploma) (1999)
- College of Law at Guildford (L.S.F.) (1990)
- University of Bristol (LL.B.) (1989)
- Washington, DC
- Moderator, Increasing Requirements and Material Barriers of Antitrust Clearance Practice for M&A Transactions from a European and Global Perspective, 15th Annual International M&A and Corporate Finance Summit June 2022
- Co-chair, C5's 3rd European Forum on FDI Reviews and CFIUS, 2022
- Moderator, Enforcers' Roundtable, 16th Annual IBA Competition Mid-Year Conference, Stockholm, June 2022
- Moderator, Pushing the boundaries of investigations – new areas of antitrust enforcement, 31st Annual IBA Communication and Competition Law Conference
- Speaker at Baker McKenzie's STEPS to Net Zero Panel Discussion, November 2021
- Moderator, Antitrust and electronic communications roundtable: challenges of regulating the digital economy, July 2021
- Co-chair, FDI Screening and CFIUS Conference, May 2021
- Panellist on the National Security and Investment Bill Discussion at the City & Financial Virtual Summit, 24 February 2021
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.