Samantha Mobley is a partner in the EU, Competition & Trade Practice of Baker & McKenzie's London office and a member of the London office Management Committee. She headed Baker McKenzie's Global Antitrust and Competition Group, a team of over 300 competition and antitrust specialists worldwide for six years. Samantha is a member of Baker McKenzie's India Steering Committee.
Samantha has extensive experience in all areas of EU and UK competition law. She is an experienced merger control specialist and regularly advises the boards of UK plcs in numerous industry sectors on antitrust compliance matters. Samantha also co-leads Baker McKenzie's global foreign investment review service.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Archer Daniels Midland on its EUR 1.535 billion acquisition of Neovia, securing clearances from the European Commission and five other regulators.
- Advised GlaxoSmithKline on the competition aspects of its joint venture with Pfizer to form a global consumer healthcare business.
- Advised Clarcor on the global merger control aspects of its USD 4.3 billion merger with Parker Hannefin.
- Represented Three UK in the UK Competition and Markets Authority Phase II review of the merger of BT and EE in the telecommunications sector.
- Represented a third party with respect to the proposed Sky/Fox merger in the public interest review (on grounds of media plurality and broadcasting standards) which ultimately resulted in the deal being blocked.
- Advised a third party in the CMA’s phase II renew and prohibition of the proposed merger between ASDA and Sainsbury’s.
- Assisted Tata Motors on the global merger control aspects of its acquisition of Swedish company, Titanix.
- Representing Unichem Laboratories Limited and Niche Generics Limited in its appeal to the European Court of Justice in the Servier patent settlement case.
- Advises Unilever plc on competition law matters globally
- Advised a number of companies on the implication of the reduced UK thresholds designed to cover deals with possible national security implications on their proposed transactions.
- Leading Individual for competition law, Chambers & Partners 2020
- Competition Legal Expert, Who's Who Legal 2020
- Leading Individual for Foreign Investment Review, Who's Who Legal 2020
- Top 150 Women in Antitrust, Global Competition Review 2019
- Non-Governmental Adviser, UK Competition and Markets Authority at the ICN (International Competition Network)
- Top Ten EMPower Advocate, EMPower Ethnic Minority Role Models 2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Member of the Antitrust Section
- International Bar Association - Vice Chair, Antitrust Committee
- City of London Law Society - Member, Competition Committee
- Law Society of England & Wales - Past Chair, Competition Section Committee
- Republic of Ireland (2019)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1993)
- King's College London, UK (Post Graduate Diploma) (1999)
- College of Law at Guildford (L.S.F.) (1990)
- University of Bristol (LL.B.) (1989)
- Washington, DC
- Speaker at Expansion of Regulatory Oversight on Overcoming National Security Concerns and Trends at C5 European Forum on Foreign Investment Security Reviews and CFIUS, 20 June 2019
- Speaker on Merger Control, Queen Mary's University's Trends & Developments in Global Competition Law, Brussels, 7 June 2019
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.