J. Brook Mestre is a seasoned corporate and securities attorney who represents publicly and privately held multinational and domestic businesses in a wide range of corporate transactions.
Brook has extensive experience advising purchasers and sellers in cross-border mergers and acquisitions transactions, counseling clients from the inception of a deal through any post-acquisition restructuring and integration matters that may arise. Brook also represents clients in capital markets transactions, including public offerings and private placements of both equity and debt, as well as on day-to-day governance and other corporate matters. His clients operate in a variety of industries, including technology, sports and entertainment, consumer products, healthcare, life sciences, social media, recreational vehicles, interstate transportation and logistics, energy exploration, production, and transmission, food services, and national defense.
Representative Legal Matters
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented Servier SAS, a French-based multinational pharmaceutical company, on its USD 2.4 billion acquisition of the oncology business of Shire plc, an Irish-based multinational biotechnology company.
- Represented Thor Industries, Inc., an NYSE-listed multinational manufacturer of recreational vehicles, on its EUR 2.1 billion acquisition of Erwin Hymer Group, a privately held German-based manufacturer of recreational vehicles.
- Represented Crane Co., an NYSE-listed multinational industrial manufacturer, on its USD 800 million acquisition of Crane & Co., Inc., a privately held designer and supplier of secure banknotes.
- Represented Abbott Laboratories, an NYSE-listed multinational pharmaceutical and life science company, on its sale of certain cardiovascular and toxicology medical device assets and its B-type Naturietic Peptide assay business.
- Represented Tom Gaglardi on his purchase of the Dallas Stars National Hockey League franchise.
- Represented a privately held enterprise software company in its USD 127 million acquisition of a Nasdaq-listed software company.
- Represented a privately held utility company on Rule 144A offerings of over USD 5.5 billion in senior secured notes and the related exchange offers.
- Represented an NYSE-listed multinational provider of offshore contract drilling services on its offering and NYSE listing of USD 2.5 billion aggregate principal amount of its senior secured notes.
- Represented an NYSE-listed global owner and licensor of restaurant brands on the spin-off of its China business operations into a separate NYSE-listed company.
- Represented an NYSE-listed multinational provider of oil and gas drilling and production equipment on the spin-off of its distribution division into a separate NYSE-listed company.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- Dallas Hispanic Bar Association
- Texas~United States (2006)
- Vanderbilt University Law School (J.D.) (2006)
- Vanderbilt University (B.S. cum laude) (2003)
Co-presenter, “Top Trends in Cross-Border M&A,” Doing Business Globally, in partnership with the Association of Corporate Counsel, Dallas-Fort Worth Chapter, October 2018
Issue Team Member, “M&A Carveout Transactions Deal Points Study,” American Bar Association, Mergers & Acquisitions Committee, M&A Market Trends Subcommittee, December 2017
Co-presenter, "Issues in PIPE Financings," Dallas Bar Association, Securities Law Section, June 2007