Seiji Matsuzoe is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Tokyo office and is a member of the Capital Markets Group in Tokyo. With more than 20 years of experience, Seiji handles a wide range of international financial transactions, including capital markets and structured finance using derivatives.
Prior to joining the Firm, he worked at a domestic law firm and other leading international law firms. He also has experience working in London. Seiji was the only lawyer who served as a member of the Study Group on OTC Derivative Market Regulations established by the Financial Services Agency in 2011.
Seiji's practice focuses on financing transactions in domestic and overseas capital markets, structured finance using derivatives and cross-border banking, among other financial transactions, as well as domestic and international regulatory and filing requirements for cross-border transactions.
Aside from financial institutions, Seiji serves fund managers, institutional investors and domestic and foreign companies seeking financing by providing legal support tailored to each client's needs.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm, Seiji handled the following matters:
- Advised LCH.Clearnet Limited on its launch of an interest rate swap clearing business in Japan.
- Advised domestic and foreign issuers on capital market financing (debt and equity), including the issuance of sovereign bonds.
- Advised clients on the creation of a wide variety of derivatives and on structured finance involving derivatives.
- Advised clients on a wide range of financial transactions, including subscription lines and global commitment lines.
- Advised lenders, arrangers and target companies on financing and domestic and overseas regulatory aspects of a number of international M&A transactions.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Daiichi Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- New York~United States (2005)
- Japan (1998)
- New York University School of Law (LLM) (2006)
- Keio University (LLB) (1996)