George is a partner in the Corporate Finance practice group in London. George's practice is focused on equity securities offerings of all types, as well as mergers and acquisitions, corporate advisory and general corporate work across a number of industry sectors in both mature and emerging markets. He regularly advises a range of corporate and investment bank clients and his industry sector focus is financial institutions.
George is ranked in the UK’s Legal 500 2023 as a “Next Generation Partner” (Mid-Large Cap, Equity Capital Markets) and noted for his experience on transactions in the GCC and “detailed knowledge of the Middle East”. He is recommended in particular as “excellent on Saudi deals” (UK Legal 500 2021).
George has experience of working in both London and Hong Kong for a variety of clients across EMEA (particularly in the Middle East) and Asia Pacific. He also has broad capital markets experience across a range of listing venues, including London, Riyadh and Hong Kong.
Representative Legal Matters
Equity capital markets:
- Advised Goldman Sachs, HSBC and SNB Capital on the USD 712 million IPO and USD 2.4 billion Tadawul listing of Arabian Drilling (2022).
- Advised Citi, J.P. Morgan and SNB Capital on Saudi Tadawul Group’s USD 1 billion IPO and USD 3.4 billion Tadawul listing (2021).
- Advised the 11 underwriting banks (including Citi, J.P. Morgan, Natixis and Riyad Capital as financial advisors) on the USD 1.2 billion IPO and USD 10.9 billion Tadawul listing of ACWA Power (2021).
- Advised BinDawood on its USD 585 million IPO and listing on Tadawul, the largest internationally marketed IPO out of Saudi Arabia in 2020 (2020).
- Advised Arabian Centres on its landmark USD 747 million IPO and listing on Tadawul, the first ever international equity offering by a Saudi issuer involving a "Rule 144A" tranche to US investors. Winner of "Equity Deal of the Year" and "Equity Team of the Year", IFLR Awards Middle East, 2019 and "Highly Commended, Finance Team of the Year", UK Legal Business Awards 2020 (2019).
- Advised Macquarie as selling shareholder on Arqiva Group's proposed IPO and premium listing in London (2017, aborted).
- Advising Sisram Medical on its landmark IPO and Main Board listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, the first ever listing of an Israeli-incorporated issuer in Hong Kong (2017).*
- Advised Zoopla on its IPO and premium listing in London (2014).*
- Advised the underwriters on the IPO and spin-off premium listing in London of TSB Banking Group from Lloyds Banking Group (2014).*
- Advising United Biscuits on its proposed IPO and premium listing in London (as part of a full dual-track process which resulted in the GBP 2 billion sale of United Biscuits to Yildiz Holding) (2014, aborted).*
Mergers & acquisitions:
- Advised Ahli United Bank on its acquisition of Citi’s entire consumer banking business in Bahrain (2022).
- Advised Gulf Insurance Group on its USD 474 million acquisition of AXA’s insurance business in the Middle East (including across Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Oman and Qatar) (2021).
- Advised The Olayan Group on its acquisition of the Podium Block of Chevron House, Singapore (2020).
- Advised Bank of China on its proposed acquisition of a European investment banking and wealth management institution (2019).
- Advised The Olayan Group on its proposed USD 2.2 billion consortium takeover bid (together with Brookfield and Peel Holdings) of Intu Properties plc, listed on the London Stock Exchange (2018, aborted).
- Advised UBP, the Swiss private bank, on its acquisition of the private wealth management business of ACPI, a boutique UK private wealth management firm (2018).
*Transactions at previous firm.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England and Wales
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2010)
- BPP Law School (Legal Practice Course) (2008)
- BPP Law School (Graduate Diploma Law) (2007)
- Trinity College, University of Cambridge (M.A. Hons) (2006)