Sunwinder (Sunny) Mann is a partner in the EU, Competition and Trade Department of Baker McKenzie’s London office and is a member of the Competition Litigation Unit.
Sunny joined the London office of Baker McKenzie in 2000. During 2007/2008, he spent 18 months working on a variety of antitrust/litigation matters in the Washington, D.C. and New York offices. He has also spent some time in the Sydney office. Sunny also has in-house experience, having spent 9 months working on secondment with a major UK mobile network operator (Orange) and a further 3 months on secondment with a major manufacturer of high-tech consumer goods (Apple). He was elected a partner in July 2010.
Sunny is a visiting professor at the College of Europe (both Bruges and Warsaw campuses), the leading institute for post-graduate European studies, and has been a visiting lecturer on the LL.M. and LL.B. courses at King’s College, University of London, at various times since 1997.
Sunny’s practice focuses on competition litigation, competition compliance and merger control issues from both a UK and EU perspective. He has been involved in European Commission, OFT and OFCOM investigations, acting for both defendants and complainants, relating to alleged cartels, vertical price-fixing and abuses of dominant positions. Sunny has also advised on a number of merger cases before the European Commission, the OFT and the UK Competition Commission, acting for either one of the parties seeking clearance or a third party opposed to the proposed merger. Sunny also has experience in assisting clients with investigations, including in relation to on-site inspections by the authorities. In addition, he has counselled numerous clients on international trade law (including UK and EU export control rules and trade embargoes) and anti-bribery compliance.
The recent edition of Legal 500 (2009) noted that Sunny “is ‘excellent’, with a ‘calm’ and ‘very practical’ approach.”
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for an energy client before the European Court of Justice in an appeal against the Commission's approval of a merger to which the client was a party.
- Assisting a consumer goods client on an on-site dawn raid inspection by the European Commission in relation to an alleged cartel and the follow-on investigation.
- Representing a healthcare client defending a treble damages claim before the US District Court.
- Acting for a telecoms client before the UK's Competition Appeal Tribunal in an appeal against a regulator's decision.
- Advising a healthcare client in English High Court litigation involving complex competition and IP law issues.
- Representing an energy client in an alleged cartel investigation by the OFT.
- Providing a client in the extractive sector global antitrust/competition compliance advice and training in the EU and the US.
- Representing a state in litigation before the WTO Appellate Body.
- Advising on a pro bono basis the legal team representing two petitioners before the US Supreme Court seeking a writ of habeas corpus.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society European Group
- ICC Business in Society Group
- Law Society of England & Wales
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2002)
- College of Europe (LL.M.) (2010)
- King's College London, UK (LL.B.) (2010)
- University of Paris I (Pantheon-Sorbonne) (Maîtrise en droit) (2007)
- New York
- Washington, DC
Sunny has published articles and papers on a number of issues covering competition law, trade law and corporate social responsibility for the American Bar Association, Global Competition Review, Commonwealth Business Council and the Royal Institute for International Affairs, among others. He has also contributed to Sweet and Maxwell’s “Encyclopaedia of Information Technology.” He has also spoken at conferences in the EU and in the US.