Sophia Man is a partner in Baker McKenzie’s Hong Kong office and a member of the Firm's Financial Services Practice Group. She has over 19 years’ experience in advising trustees, fund managers, custodians, administrators and employers on fund formation, restructuring, investment and regulatory matters.
Sophia is Chairlady of the Retirement Schemes Committee of the Hong Kong Law Society. She is also a Certified Trust Practitioner accredited by the Hong Kong Trustees' Association.
Representative Legal Matters
- Worked in one of the leading global banks as an in-house lawyer for its securities services which cover both authorised and private funds.
- Worked in one of the leading global insurers as an in-house lawyer advising on its insurance and pension products, and investments.
- Advising sellers and potential buyers on various pension related M&A transactions.
- Advising leading MPF service providers on MPF schemes, including new legislative initiatives, restructuring and mergers, and complex regulatory issues including potential regulatory investigations and enquiries.
- Advising multinational corporations, financial institutions, utilities companies on ORSO (including ORSO pooled retirement funds) restructuring (including restructuring benefit arrangements, winding-up, merger, successor scheme creations and authorisation).
- Advising on the employment and pension issues arising from merger and acquisition or business transfer transactions.
- Advising fund managers and trustees on the set-up, ongoing maintenance matters and restructuring in relation to SFC authorised funds, including ETFs.
- Advising on the set-up of open-ended fund companies in Hong Kong.
- Advising HK-based hedge fund managers in relation to ongoing maintenance matters and updates.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Hong Kong (2001)
- The University of Hong Kong (P.C.LL.) (1999)
- The University of Hong Kong (LL.B.) (1998)