Sophia is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Financial Services Group. She has over 18 years' experience in advising trustees, fund managers, custodians, administrators and employers on fund formation, restructuring, investment and regulatory matters. Sophia is Chairlady of the Retirement Schemes Committee of the Hong Kong Law Society. She is also a Certified Trust Practitioner accredited by the Hong Kong Trustees' Association.
Sophia’s current practice focuses on pension products. She advises leading pension service providers on establishment, on-going maintenance, compliance and regulatory (including investigations and enquiries), M&A and restructuring (eg, scheme merger) issues relating to pension schemes. Her clients also include global and regional fund managers, hedge fund managers and trustees of non-pension funds.
Representative Legal Matters
- Worked in one of the leading global banks as an in-house lawyer for its securities services which cover both authorised and private funds.
- Worked in one of the leading global insurers as an in-house lawyer advising on its insurance and pension products, and investments.
- Advised sellers and potential buyers on various pension related M&A transactions.
- Advised leading MPF service providers on MPF schemes, including new legislative initiatives, restructuring and mergers, and complex regulatory issues.
- Advised multinational corporations, financial institutions, utilities companies on ORSO (including ORSO pooled retirement funds) restructuring (including restructuring benefit arrangements, winding-up, merger, successor scheme creations and authorisation).
- Advised on the employment and pension issues arising from merger and acquisition or business transfer transactions.
- Advised fund managers and trustees on the set-up, on-going maintenance matters and restructuring in relation to SFC authorised funds, including ETFs.
- Advised on the set-up and on-going maintenance matters in relation to Macau pension funds and central provident funds.
- Advised HK-based hedge fund managers in relation to on-going maintenance matters and updates.
- Hong Kong (2001)
- The University of Hong Kong (P.C.LL.) (1999)
- The University of Hong Kong (LL.B.) (1998)
Baker & McKenzie, a Hong Kong partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.