Karen Man is a partner in Baker McKenzie’s Financial Services group, leading the non-contentious Financial Services Regulatory practice. Her clients include global, Chinese and local banks, fund managers, brokers/dealers, money service operators and fintech firms. Karen is admitted to practice in Hong Kong, the UK, and Australia.
Representative Legal Matters
Financial services regulatory matters
- Advised a major European private bank on the structuring of its cross-border private banking operations including customer documentation, outsourcing / insourcing issues, licensing issues, anti-money laundering compliance issues, and other cross-border compliance matters.
- Advised a major European private bank on the structuring of its cross-border asset management service offerings including customer documentation, licensing issues, and other cross-border compliance matters.
- Advised and assisted a leading Chinese bank on the establishment of its investment banking platform in Hong Kong.
- Advised and assisted various Carlyle entities on the establishment of fund marketing and management presence in Hong Kong.
- Advised and assisted a Canada-based insurance group on the establishment of its fund management/advisory platform in Hong Kong.
Financial services M&A related matters
- Acted for LGT Bank in the acquisition of the Hong Kong, Singapore and Dubai private banking business of ABN AMRO Bank NV.
- Acted for EFG Bank in the acquisition of BSI Bank’s private banking business in Hong Kong.
- Acted for China Galaxy in its conditional acquisition of 50% stake in CIMB Securities International Pte Ltd., a group which engages in cash equities business comprising institutional and retail brokerage, equity research and associated securities business in Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, the UK and the US.
- Acted for Yuexiu Group in the partial offer of 75 percent interest in Chong Hing Bank Limited.
- Advised an Australia-based international bank on post-acquisition integration issues following its acquisition of the Asian retail and commercial banking operations of another major bank.
- Leading Lawyer (Fintech Legal, China) - Chambers Fintech (2023)
- Leading Lawyer (Financial Services: Non-contentious Regulatory - International Firm, Hong Kong/China) – Chambers Greater China Region (2022-2023)
- Leading Lawyer (Regulatory, Hong Kong) – Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2020-2023)
- Leading Lawyer (Fintech Legal: Hong Kong-based) – Chambers Fintech (2021-2022)
- Notable Practitioner (Hong Kong) - IFLR1000 (2021-2022)
- Leading Lawyer (Financial Services: Non-contentious Regulatory - International Firm, Hong Kong/China) – Chambers Asia Pacific (2016, 2021)
- Best in Financial Services Regulatory – Women in Business Law Awards for Asia (2020)
- Up-and-coming Lawyer (Financial Services: Non-Contentious Regulatory (International Firms), China/Hong Kong) - Chambers Asia Pacific (2015)
- Up-and-coming Lawyer (Financial Services: Contentious Regulatory (International Firms), China) - Chambers Asia Pacific (2014)
- Hong Kong (2000)
- England & Wales (non-practicing)~United Kingdom (1999)
- New South Wales~Australia (1997)
- University of Sydney (LLB) (1995)
- University of Sydney (Bachelor of Economics) (1993)