Seraphim Ma is Managing Partner of the Baker McKenzie Taipei office since 01 July, 2021. Working in our premier global law firm since 1990 and consistently ranked Band 1/Tier 1 attorney by Chambers and Partners and The Legal 500 respectively, Seraphim’s widely recognized expertise includes intellectual property law, dispute resolution (criminal, civil and administrative litigation), joint venture projects with government, and employment law. Awarded with the prestigious Euromoney Legal Media Group Asia Women in Business Law Award in 2014 and 2016, she was distinguished twice as the only winner from Taiwan. She also plays an active role as a prominent civic leader who provides practical recommendations to the Taiwan government on forming key legislation through the senior executive positions she has held, both past and present, including Board Governor/Supervisor of the American Chamber of Commerce in Taiwan (2017~present) and former Co-chair of both the AmCham and European Chamber of Commerce Taiwan HR Committees.
Ms. Ma counsels on employment issues related to M&A, hiring and employment contracts (including non-competition and confidentiality), employee handbooks, codes of conduct, severance, pension, termination, harassment/discrimination, occupational safety and union negotiations.
Her extensive experience in intellectual property and dispute resolution covers disputes of patent, copyright and trade secrets, as well as civil, administrative and criminal lawsuits.
Representative Legal Matters
- Drafted the Taoyuan Airport City Special Act and counseled on Taiwan's labor laws, including the amendment of the Labor Standards Law.
- Advised the world's leading manufacturing, pharmaceutical, medical, hi-tech, restaurant chain store, international trading, financial, consulting, retail and Build-Operate-Transfer companies on labor disputes, including settlement negotiations, mediations, lawsuits, union negotiation and industry-specific exemptions from various legal limitations.
- Assisted leading hi-tech companies in lawsuits, injunctions and legal strategies for patent and copyright lawsuits in Taiwan and China.
- Named Top 50 The Women Leaders 2022 by International Employment Lawyer
- Ranked Band 1 Lawyer, Chambers Asia-Pacific, 2009-2016
- Named Leading Individual, Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2013-2016
- Received Asia Women in Business Law Award, Euromoney Legal Media Group 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Chamber of Commerce - Co-Chair, HR Committee
- European Chamber of Commerce - Former Co-Chair, HR Committee
- Taipei~Taiwan (1990)
- University of California at Berkeley (LL.M.) (1994)
- National Taiwan University (LL.B.) (1985)
Baker & McKenzie, a Taiwanese Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.