Nicolas Kredel chairs Baker McKenzie's EMEA Antitrust & Competition Practice Group as well as the Firm’s global Future Mobility Group, he heads Baker McKenzie's German / Austrian antitrust practice and co-heads the Firm’s global Competition economics group. Nicolas has more than 15 years' experience advising on antitrust and competition law and is based in the Firm's Dusseldorf office.
A seasoned antitrust lawyer, Dr. Kredel is consistently recommended in various legal directories, including Chambers, Legal 500 and JUVE. He was awarded the ILO Client Choice Award three times in 2016, 2018 and 2020 for Antitrust (Germany).
Dr. Kredel advises clients in EU and German competition law matters, including domestic and international cartel investigations, merger control proceedings and abuse of dominance cases. He routinely leads global projects for antitrust risk prevention (compliance systems), international investigations and transactions.
Dr. Kredel also provides competition law advice on cooperation agreements with competitors, as well as supply agreements and distribution systems. He has extensive experience in a variety of industries, including the automotive, telecommunications, FMCG, retail, defense, aviation and pharmaceutical sectors.
Representative Legal Matters
- Coordinates the antitrust work for Daimler Group on a global basis, and advises the client on various local and global projects from a merger control and antitrust perspective.
- Advised Tessenderlo Group in cartel proceedings before the EU Commission relating to alleged infringements in the construction materials sector.
- Advised Segafredo Zanetti Group in appellate proceedings against a fining decision by the German Federal Cartel Office.
- Regularly advises a leading supplier of rail vehicle components in multijurisdictional merger control proceedings, as well as on general competition law matters.
- Advises a leading EU producer of industrial products on the development and implementation of a group-wide compliance program.
- Advises a leading supplier of medical devices with regard to the development and implementation of a new distribution structure for medical products.
- Leading individual in antitrust & competition law, Legal 500 Europe, 2021
- Internationally recognised competition specialist who excels when it comes to EU and German competition law, Who's Who Legal, Germany - Competition 2021
- Who's Who Legal 2020, Antitrust and Competition Germany
- Best Lawyers in Germany 2019 for antitrust & competition law, Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers, 2019
- Recommended in Competition Future Leaders (Partners), Who's Who Legal 2019
- Client Choice Award for Antitrust and Competition (Germany), International Law Office, 2016, 2018 and 2020
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Studienvereinigung Kartellrecht - Member
- American Bar Association - Member
- Germany (2005)
- Civil Court Munich (Second State Exam) (2005)
- University of Munich (Doctorate, s.c.l.) (2004)
- University of Michigan at Ann Arbor (LL.M.) (2002)
- University of Munich (First State Exam) (2001)
- Co-author (with Janet Butler, Johannes Döveling, Caroline Heinickel, Holger Lutz, Jens Rubart, Joachim Scherer, Matthias Scholz), "TKG - Telekommunikationsgesetz Kommentar," 3rd edition 2021, ESV Medien, 10.11.2020
- Co-editor (with Matthias Scholz, Janet Butler, Caroline Heinickel, Joachim Scherer, Holger Lutz, Jens Rubart), "TKG - Telekommunikationsgesetz - Kommentar," 3. Auflage 2020, Erich Schmidt Verlag, September 2020
- Co-author, "Kartellschadensersatz," Beitrag in Momsen/Grützner, Wirtschafts- und Steuerstrafrecht, 2. Auflage, 5.8.2020
- Co-author, "Global Guide to Competition Litigation," June 2020
- Co-author, "Global Private M&A Guide," June 2020