Hiroshi Kondo heads the Firm’s M&A, Venture Capital and Private Equity practice groups, and holds other leadership positions within the Firm. In addition to his practice, Mr. Kondo has authored and contributed to numerous publications. He is also a member of the Tokyo Bar Association and the Japan Federation of Bar Associations.
Mr. Kondo focuses on mergers and acquisitions, private equity investment, corporate/commercial and labor law. He has acted as lead counsel for several high-profile M&A transactions in Japan’s consumer industries, including food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, telecommunications and insurance markets. He also has extensive experience in private equity investments — particularly with MBOs and LBOs — corporate restructuring, securities regulation, anti-monopoly regulation and labor dispute resolution.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented the largest domestic beer manufacturer in its acquisition of a beverage company in Australia.
- Represented a domestic consumer goods manufacturer in its acquisition of a major company in the same trade in Australia.
- Represented a major foreign insurance company concerning a tender offer for a Japanese insurance company.
- Represented a European telecommunications company in the purchase and subsequent sale of its stake in one of Japan’s largest telecommunications companies and its wireless arm.
- Counseled a major Japanese life insurance company concerning a complex demutualization merger involving the following components: establishment of a new joint venture company (i.e., K.K.) of a life insurance company with a major e-commerce and Internet conglomerate; takeover of the assets of a bankrupted life insurer; and an eventual merger of a major Japanese life insurance (mutual) company with the joint venture for the purpose of the demutualization.
- Acted on behalf of a major domestic telecommunications company in one of the world’s largest mergers by three of Japan’s telecommunications companies.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Japan Federation of Bar Associations
- Tokyo Bar Association
- Law School of Chuo University - Visiting lector (teaching leading litigation practice)
- Japan (1987)
- Harvard Law School (LL.M.) (1991)
- Chuo University (LL.B.) (1981)
- San Francisco