Barbara focuses her practice on global equity compensation programs, employee benefits and executive compensation. She regularly advises multinational companies on implementing their equity compensation programs worldwide — particularly as it relates to tax and securities law matters and exchange control regulations. Barbara also frequently advises on the treatment of such programs in corporate spin-offs and other corporate transactions, as well as on the tax treatment of cross-border employees.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised on regulatory and tax issues surrounding employee equity awards in over 40 countries related to Computer Sciences Corporation’s merger with a subsidiary of a global technology company to form an independent, public company, DXC Technologies, Inc.
- Advised Symantec Corporation on the global tax and regulatory consequences surrounding their equity awards in the USD 6.3 billion sale of its information management and storage unit, Veritas Technologies Inc., to The Carlyle Group, a private investment firm specializing in global alternative asset management.
- Advised Citrix Systems, Inc. on the tax and legal issues affecting equity awards held by employees of GetGo subsidiary in spin-off and subsequent merger with LogMeIn.
- Advised semiconductor company on international equity compensation issues related to spin-off of subsidiary.
- Advised Fortune 100 software company on implementation of RSU program in approximately 90 countries.
- Advised Fortune 100 software company on tax and regulatory issues related to adjustment of equity awards as a result of extraordinary dividend distribution.
- Represented internet company in assuming various equity plans operated by acquired companies and advised on related tax and regulatory issues.
- Provided advice on tax treatment of cross-border transferring employees with regard to outstanding equity awards.
- Advised semiconductor company on implementation of global recharge program for equity awards in 25 countries.
- Ranked Practitioner, Chambers USA, Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation, 2017 - 2018
- Recognized Practitioner, Chambers USA, Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation, 2016
- Recognized Lawyer, Legal 500, Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation, 2016
- Named one of Silicon Valley's "Incubators of Innovation," The Recorder, 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Global Equity Organization - Board of Directors
- National Association of Stock Plan Professionals
- State Bar of California
- San Francisco Bar Association
- California~United States (2001)
- Düsseldorf~Germany (1999)
- University of San Francisco School of Law (LL.M. International & Comparative Law) (2000)
- University of Bonn (Assessor Exam) (1998)
- University of Bonn (First State Exam) (1995)
Author, "How To Structure Employee Stock Options In Israel," Law360, 3 July 2018
Author, "China SAFE Requirements for Equity-Based Awards," Baker & McKenzie LLP, October 2016
Author, "What To Do When Your Board Goes Global," ABA Business Tax Quarterly, August 2016
Author, "Boots on the Ground: Employment Considerations for Companies Expanding Abroad," BNA Corporate Counsel Weekly, August 2013
Author, "The Global Side of Option Exchange Programs," BNA Pension & Benefits Daily, January 2013