Leif King is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Palo Alto office and is Head of M&A/Corporate for the Firm's California offices. Before joining Baker McKenzie, Leif served as head of Skadden's M&A group in Northern California, where he had practiced for over 20 years. He represents clients in connection with a wide variety of corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments, activist investor situations, recapitalizations, spin-oﬀs and minority investments. Leif regularly advises public and private companies on corporate, corporate governance and securities law compliance issues.
Leif has been featured as a Dealmaker of the Week and Dealmaker of the Month in The American Lawyer, and he has been selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business every year since 2008. The Daily Journal has named him several times as one of the Top 100 Lawyers in California and previously recognized him as one of the Top 20 Under 40 lawyers in the state. He has been recognized by The Recorder as an Attorney of the Year. He has received two California Lawyer Attorneys of the Year awards from California Lawyer magazine and the Daily Journal. Leif also has repeatedly been selected for inclusion in IFLR1000 and The Best Lawyers in America. He was recognized as a BTI Client Service All-Star for providing outstanding client service.
Representative Legal Matters
Advised the majority shareholders of MagicLab, which owns Badoo, Bumble, Chappy, and Lumen, on the majority stake sale to funds managed by Blackstone, valuing the company at approximately USD 3 billion.
Advised Broadcom Corporation on its USD 37 billion sale to Avago Technologies Limited.
Advised Plum Creek on its USD 8.4 billion merger with Weyerhauser Corporation.
Advised Broadcom Corporation on its USD 3.7 billion acquisition of NetLogic Microsystems, Inc.
Advised The Public Investment Fund of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in its USD 3.5 billion investment in Uber Technologies Inc.
Advised SolarCity Corporation on its USD 2.6 billion sale to Tesla Motors Inc.
Advised EnergySolutions on its USD 1.1 billion sale to Energy Capital Partners.
Advised TiVo Inc. on its USD 1.1. billion sale to Rovi Corporation.
Advised SJW Group in its pending USD 1.1 billion acquisition of Connecticut Water Service, Inc.
Advised Tessera Technologies, Inc. on its USD 850 million acquisition of DTS, Inc.
Advised SurveyMonkey in its USD 800 million debt and equity recapitalization.
Advised Broadcom Corporation on its USD 316 million acquisition of Beceem Communications Inc.
Advised Cadence Design Systems Inc. in its USD 170 million acquisition of Jasper Design Automation, Inc.
*includes matters before joining Baker McKenzie.
- Northern California Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers Individual Awards, 2013-2019
- Dealmaker of the Week, The American Lawyer
- Dealmaker of the Month, The American Lawyer
- Leading Individual, Chambers USA, 2008-2019
- Recognized, Top 100 Lawyers in California, The Daily Journal 2016
- Recognized, Top 20 Under 40 Lawyers in California, The Daily Journal
- Ranked, BTI Client Service All-Star 2016
- Attorney of the Year, The Recorder 2013
- Attorney of the Year, California Lawyer Magazine
- Attorney of the Year, The Daily Journal
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member of the Board of Directors, Western Center on Law & Poverty
- California~United States
- District of Columbia~United States
- State University of New York at Binghamton (BA) (1992)
- Georgetown University (JD)