Yutaka Kimura is a member of the Corporate / Mergers & Acquisitions group in Baker McKenzie’s Tokyo office. Prior to joining the Firm, he was with the Tokyo and London offices of an international law firm. He spent two years on secondment at the Firm's Kuala Lumpur office. He has extensive experience in mergers, acquisitions and general corporate matters.
Yukata regularly advises major Japanese and international companies, private equity funds, investment banks and start-ups on domestic and cross-border M&A transactions, joint ventures, corporate restructurings and general corporate issues. His experience includes advising Japanese companies on outbound investments in the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, Hong Kong, Singapore, China, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, India, Philippines, Turkey and Finland, among other jurisdictions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., Ltd. (also known as Foxconn) and their group investors in relation to their investments in Sharp Corporation. The deal was recognized as M&A Deal of the Year and its participants M&A Team of the Year at International Financial Law Review Awards 2017, and was among Asian-MENA Counsel – In-House Community's 2016 Deals of the Year.
- Advised a leading Japanese corporation providing industrial, medical, and electronic device systems on its acquisition of the atomic spectroscopy product business division of Oxford Instruments plc.
- Advised a multinational PC manufacturer on the establishment of a joint venture with a Japanese PC manufacturer to own and operate their respective personal computer businesses in Japan.
- Advised a multinational private equity fund on the disposal of its holdings in a Japanese listed company by way of two-step tender offers, an unprecedented structure in Japan.
- Advised the private investment arm of a multinational investment bank on its acquisition of certain stake in a major Japanese gaming machine manufacturer.
- Advised a German company on its acquisition of a diagnostics division in another German pharmaceutical company.
- Advised a major Japanese financial institution on the preparation of a global anti-bribery compliance policy in accordance with the US Foreign Corruption Prevention Act and the UK Bribery Act.
- Supported a UK listed company on the preparation of a Class 1 circular required under the UK Listing Rules in relation to the disposals of its German and Norwegian businesses.
- Advised a major Japanese IT service provider on its formation of a joint venture with a major Malaysian conglomerate in Malaysia.
- Advised a major Japanese real estate developer on forming a joint venture with a major Malaysian developer to build a condominium in Malaysia.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- Dai-ni Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- New York~United States (2009)
- Japan (2003)
- New York University School of Law (LLM) (2008)
- Legal Training and Research Institute (2003)
- University of Tokyo Faculty of Law (LLB) (2001)
- Kuala Lumpur