Yutaka Kimura is a member of the Corporate/M&A group at Baker McKenzie's Tokyo office. Prior to joining the Firm, he was with the Tokyo and London offices of a prominent multinational law firm headquartered in London. He also spent two years (starting in June 2013) on a secondment with the Kuala Lumpur office of Baker McKenzie (Wong & Partners). Yutaka has extensive experience in mergers, acquisitions and general corporate matters.
Yutaka regularly advises major Japanese and international companies, private equity funds, investment banks and start-ups on domestic and cross-border M&A transactions, joint ventures, corporate restructuring and general corporate issues. His experience includes advising Japanese companies on outbound investments in the US, the UK, Germany, Hong Kong, Singapore, China, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, India, the Philippines, Turkey, Finland and other jurisdictions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., Ltd. (also known as Foxconn) and their investor group in relation to their investments in Sharp Corporation (which won awards for "M&A Deal of the Year" and "M&A Team of the Year" at the International Financial Law Review (IFLR) Asia Awards 2017 and "Asian-MENA Counsel – In-House Community Deal of the Year 2016").
- Advised Hitachi High-Technologies Corporation on its acquisition of the atomic spectroscopy product business division of Oxford Instruments plc.
- Advised a multinational PC manufacturer on its establishment of a joint venture with a Japanese PC manufacturer to engage in the personal computer business in Japan.
- Advised a multinational private equity fund on the disposal of its holdings in a Japanese listed company by way of a two-step tender offer, an unprecedented deal structure in Japan.
- Advised the private investment arm of a multinational investment bank on its acquisition of a certain stake in a major Japanese gaming machine manufacturer.
- Advised a German company on its acquisition of the diagnostics division of another German pharmaceutical company.
- Advised a major Japanese financial institution on the preparation of a global anti-bribery compliance policy in accordance with the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and the UK Bribery Act.
- Supported a UK listed company on the preparation of a Class 1 circular required under the UK Listing Rules in relation to the disposal of its German and Norwegian businesses.
- Advised a major Japanese IT service provider on its formation of a joint venture in Malaysia with a major Malaysian conglomerate.
- Advised a major Japanese real estate developer on its formation of a joint venture with a major Malaysian developer to build a condominium in Malaysia.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- Dai-ni Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- New York~United States (2009)
- Japan (2003)
- New York University School of Law (LLM) (2008)
- Legal Training and Research Institute (2003)
- University of Tokyo Faculty of Law (LLB) (2001)
- Kuala Lumpur