Akihiro Kawasaki is a member of the Firm's Tax & Transfer Pricing Group in Tokyo. He has a wide range of experience — including HK IPOs, crypto currency issues and tax audits — and is particularly proficient in tax consulting involving complex consolidation and reorganization-related tax concepts. Prior to joining the Firm, he worked for a major Japanese tax consulting company for 13 years, including a four-year assignment in Shanghai.
Akihiro's practice focuses on cross-border tax planning for foreign MNC companies, including the development of tax-efficient capital structures and tax consolidation regimes to reduce clients’ effective tax rates.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised numerous Japanese-listed companies on Japan-China cross-border restructuring.
- Advised the Japanese subsidiaries of US SEC-listed industrial equipment manufacturers on the domestic reorganization of the subsidiaries applying consolidated tax scheme.
- Represented the Tokyo Regional Taxation Bureau in tax examinations against the subsidiaries of US SEC-listed companies.
- Advised a Japanese company on its stock listing in Hong Kong.
- Advised Japanese companies on virtual currency issues.
- Licensed Tax Attorney (Zeirishi)~Japan (2016)
- Tokyo University (2006)
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.