David Jones routinely advises clients on structured property, hotels and resorts and general commercial property transactions. David coordinates multi-practice and multi-jurisdictional teams for major onshore and offshore sales, restructuring and acquisitions in each of these sectors. He is also often instructed as an adviser to government and quasi-government institutions, and on the property aspects of large scale corporate mergers and acquisition deals. David is the head of the Commercial Real Estate Group in the Firm’s Sydney office, and currently serves as a member of our Asia Pacific Structured Real Estate Steering Committee. He has primary responsibility for a number of the Firm's Australian community service and pro bono programs and works directly with a number of charitable organisations in Australia including the Steve Waugh Foundation and 1$Day.
David focuses his practice on large-scale structured property acquisitions and disposals, REITs and hotel transactions. He advises on property and hotel matters at all stages from acquisition, through management to disposal, and in relation to major redevelopment projects. David also has significant experience working with clients in preparing portfolios of assets for trade sale or public listing, both in Australia and Singapore, and works closely with our Tax, Construction, Banking and Financial Services teams in particular during this process.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for multi-national investment companies, pension funds, family offices and high net worth individuals on their sales and acquisitions in Australia, (and throughout Asia in conjunction with our Asian local offices) both directly and through structured or co-investment vehicles and arrangements.
- Advising on large-scale hotel and resort acquisitions, sales, redevelopments and management agreements in Australia and Asia.
- Acting on the establishment and restructuring of property portfolios across commercial, industrial and hospitality sectors, including developing new property investment funds and preparation of portfolios for public listing.
- Acting in relation to the real estate aspects associated with privatisation and development of large scale infrastructure projects, public and private facilities and service organisations across various industry sectors.
- Advising on the development and leasing of major commercial spaces for high end and luxury retail tenants.
- Advising on some of Australia's largest sale and leaseback transactions.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Property Council of Australia - Member
- Asia Pacific Real Estate Association (APREA) - Member
- New South Wales~Australia (1999)
- University of Wollongong (Graduate Certificate Business) (2002)
- University of Wollongong (BSc Environment) (1998)
- University of Wollongong (LL.B. Honors) (1998)
Baker & McKenzie, an Australian Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.