Sjef Janssen is an associate in Baker McKenzie's Amsterdam office, where he focuses on commercial and competition litigation. Before joining the Firm in 2013, he was a junior lecturer on EU law for Leiden University's undergraduate and graduate programs.
Sjef has substantial experience in general commercial and competition litigation, as well as corporate and international arbitration. He represents a wide variety of clients before courts of all levels, including the Supreme Court and the EU Court of Justice.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for Eneco Holding NV against the State of the Netherlands in litigation to overturn legislation on the basis that it contravenes European and international law.
- Acting for an international music company against its legal advisers in litigation over the purchase of a competitor's shares in the Czech Republic.
- Acting for an oil company against a professional claimant firm in follow-on damages litigation over an infringement of EU competition law.
- Acting for an elevator company in follow-on damages litigation over an infringement of EU competition law.
- Acting for an industrial group in follow-on damages litigation over an infringement of EU competition law.
- Acting for a bank in litigation initiated by its customers in connection with its duty of care.
- Advised a glass repair and replacement company in relation to their liability regarding service and repair.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dutch Bar Association (NOvA)
- Dutch Association for Competition Law
- Dutch Association for Corporate Litigation
- Dutch Association for Procedural Law
- Amsterdam~Netherlands (2013)
- Leiden University (LL.M. EU Law) (2012)
- Leiden University (LL.B. Dutch Law) (2010)
Baker & McKenzie Amsterdam N.V. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.