Adriana Ibarra Fernandez has over 20 years of experience providing strategic counsel to clients on complex, multijurisdictional customs and foreign trade matters. Adriana leads the Firm's Mexico City International Commercial Group. She has been ranked a leading practitioner by Chambers Global and Chambers Latin America as well as Legal 500 for 8 consecutive years. She has prior experience working as Legal Director of Rules of Origin, Customs Procedures and Safeguards in the Mexican Ministry of Economy.
Adriana participated in the negotiation of several free trade agreements (FTAs) and in the first dispute settlement resolution cases initiated by Mexico against the US under the NAFTA. She was previously based in Guadalajara and Washington, D.C. She is frequently quoted in the press on matters relating to NAFTA, free trade agreements, export controls and trade sanctions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised several foreign companies to set up subsidiaries in Mexico, benefit from FTAs, secure IMMEX and other programs for the promotion of imports, considerably reducing tax and duty impact in their operations.
- Represented foreign clients in complex actions involving verifications of origin by the Mexican tax authorities for various products imported to Mexico to avail of duty free treatment under NAFTA.
- Negotiated amendments to NAFTA rules of origin for several industries, to ease compliance with NAFTA requirements.
- Acted on behalf of a company that specializes in renewable energy on a project related to the development of a solar farm and implementing a strategy that will represent significant duty savings for the client.
- Assisting a multinational pharmaceutical laboratory carrying out risk assessment of its current export operations and developing an Internal Compliance Program for Export Controls that meets its corporate requirements and the requirements applicable under Mexican, US and European laws and regulation.
- Assisted clients in developing and implementing compliance programs and conducting internal compliance investigations.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce - Member
- American Bar Association - Member
- Mexican Bar Association - Member
- Mexico (1995)
- University Intercontinental (Diploma Sanitary Regulation of the Pharmaceutical Industry) (2012)
- Instituto Panamericano de Alta Dirección de Empresas (IPADE) (Diploma Business Management) (2008)
- Universidad Panamericana (Diploma International Taxes) (2006)
- Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (Diploma International Trade) (1996)
- Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (J.D. Honors) (1992)
- Washington, DC