Ms. Ibarra Fernandez focuses her practice on customs and international trade matters, including rules of origin, verifications of origin and related subjects in terms of the FTAs to which Mexico is a party, tariff classification, customs valuation, maquila (IMMEX), and other programs for the promotion of imports and exports, as well as non-tariff import regulations. She also advises clients in the pharmaceutical sector on regulatory matters, and has experience in handling compliance and anti-corruption matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised several foreign companies to set up subsidiaries in Mexico, benefit from FTAs, secure IMMEX and other programs for the promotion of imports, considerably reducing tax and duty impact in their operations.
- Represented foreign clients in complex actions involving verifications of origin by the Mexican tax authorities for various products imported to Mexico to avail of duty free treatment under NAFTA.
- Negotiated amendments to NAFTA rules of origin for several industries, to ease compliance with NAFTA requirements.
- Assisted clients in developing and implementing compliance programs and conducting internal compliance investigations.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce - Member
- American Bar Association - Member
- Mexican Bar Association - Member
- Mexico (1995)
- University Intercontinental (Diploma Sanitary Regulation of the Pharmaceutical Industry) (2012)
- Instituto Panamericano de Alta Dirección de Empresas (IPADE) (Diploma Business Management) (2008)
- Universidad Panamericana (Diploma International Taxes) (2006)
- Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (Diploma International Trade) (1996)
- Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (J.D. Honors) (1992)
- Washington, DC