Adriana has over twenty years of experience in customs and foreign trade matters. She joined Baker McKenzie as an associate in 2001, and became national partner in 2005.
Adriana has prior experience working as legal director of Rules of Origin, Customs Procedures and Safeguards in the Mexican Ministry of Economy. As an international negotiator, she participated in the negotiation of several free trade agreements (FTAs) and in the first dispute settlement resolution cases initiated by Mexico against the US under the NAFTA.
Adriana has been ranked a leading practitioner by Chambers and Partners at Chambers Global and Chambers Latin America as well as Legal 500 for eight consecutive years. She was an associate in our Guadalajara and Washington, D.C. offices and is currently a member of the Firm’s North America International Commercial Practice Group.
Representative Legal Matters
Advised several foreign companies to set up subsidiaries in Mexico, benefit from FTAs, secure IMMEX and other programs for the promotion of imports, considerably reducing tax and duty impact in their operations.
Represented foreign clients in complex actions involving verifications of origin by the Mexican tax authorities for various products imported to Mexico to avail of duty free treatment under NAFTA.
Negotiated amendments to NAFTA rules of origin for several industries, to ease compliance with NAFTA requirements.
Has assisted clients in developing and implementing compliance programs and conducting internal compliance investigations.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce
- Mexican Bar Association
- Mexico (1995)
- Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (J.D. Honors) (1992)
- Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (Diploma International Trade) (1996)
- Universidad Panamericana (Diploma International Taxes) (2006)
- University Intercontinental (Diploma Sanitary Regulation of the Pharmaceutical Industry) (2012)
- Instituto Panamericano de Alta Dirección de Empresas (IPADE) (Diploma Business Management) (2008)
- Washington, DC