Miles Hurst is a leading tax expert and a partner in Baker McKenzie's Tax team in Sydney. Miles has 16 years experience specialising in tax.
Miles is ranked by Legal 500 as a Next Generation Partner, is an author of Thomson Reuters' Laws of Australia Income Tax service and has been published in The Australian Federal Tax Reporter, CCH Tax Week, the Daily Tax Report, Bloomberg and The Australian. He is also a regular speaker at tax conferences including the Tax Executive Institute's Tax Summits, the Asia Pacific Tax Conference and AVCJ's Private Equity and Venture Capital Forum.
Miles specialises in income tax and advises clients on a range of tax work including fund structures, corporate acquisitions and disposals, restructures, major projects, R&D matters, tax audits and international tax.
Miles is known for his technical expertise and commercial acumen.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised 5E Advanced Materials, Inc. and American Pacific Borates Limited on a restructure, demerger, and successful NASDAQ listing
- Advised Real Asset Management on the creation, restructuring, and IPO of RAM Essential Services Property Fund, involving 33 properties worth over AUD 700 million
- Advised SK E&S on its USD 390 million acquisition of a 25% interest in the Bayu-Undan and Darwin Liquefied Natural Gas from Santos, and post-acquisition restructure of the interests acquired in the assets
- Advised a global biotechnology firm on cross-border tax issues
- Advised a number of global firms in the technology, infrastructure and biotechnology sector on the application of Australia's anti-hybrid rules and supply chain restructures
- Advised US based private equity funds and hedge funds on the acquisition, restructure, and disposal of Australian investments
- Advised Maoneng Group on the majority investment by Gaw Capital Partners, in connection with one of the largest portfolios of battery energy storage systems (BESS) in Australia
- Advised Origin Energy on tax issues associated with the USD 2.12 billion sale of a 10% stake in the Australia Pacific Liquefied Natural Gas joint venture with ConocoPhillips and Sinopec
- Advised Siemens Financial Services on its AUD 2 billion Forest Wind joint venture with CleanSight
- Advised Varde Partners on the potential IPO of Latitude Financial
- Next Generation Partner (Tax), Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2020-2022
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Taxation Institute of Australia - Fellow
- Law Society of New South Wales - Member
- New South Wales~Australia (2010)
- University of Sydney (LLM Tax) (2015)
- University of Sydney (LLB, Hons) (2006)
- University of Sydney (BSc Adv. Physics) (2006)
- Author, Thompson’s The Laws of Australia income tax service
- Various articles for tax Australian income tax services including CCH and Thomson Reuters
- Speaker at various tax conferences including the Tax Executive Institute's Tax Summits, the Asia Pacific Tax Conference and AVCJ's Private Equity and Venture Capital Forum