Miles Hurst is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Tax team in Sydney. He has over 10 years of experience advising on income tax matters.
Miles' practice focuses on the Australian tax consequences of corporate structures, M&A, financing arrangements and major projects. He has extensive experience advising on renewable energy projects, infrastructure and property investment and cross-border structures.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised NEOEN Australia in on the taxation aspects of the acquisition and debt financing of the DeGrussa Solar Farm and Hornsdale Wind Farm, and development and financing of the Parkes, Griffith and Dubbo Solar Farms.
- Advised a number of groups including DP Energy, BayWa, Magnetar, True Value Solar, Zhenfa, Canadian Solar, Neoen and FRV on the tax aspects of renewable energy projects.
- Advised Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec on taxation aspects of the consortium acquisition of a A$ 10.3 billion 99-year lease of the TransGrid NSW electricity network assets, including negotiation with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and NSW Government to obtain certainty on tax outcomes.
- Advised Northwest REIT in relation to its acquisition of Generation Healthcare Management and a 19.9% interest in Generation Healthcare REIT.
- Advised a number of clients on real property acquisitions and developments, including YTL Starhill Global REIT, Gamla Liv International Real Estate, the Government Pension Fund of Thailand, Sekisui House, Pembroke Real Estate, NorthWest REIT, Atlantic Fonds, Commerz Real, K-REIT Asia, Amora hotels group, Investec Property Limited, KS Hotels and Resorts, NGI Investments, SLM Partners and TCC Land International.
- Advised a large multinational on discussions with the Australian Taxation Office regarding application of the anti-avoidance provisions.
- Advised a multinational consumer products group on the tax aspects of the restructure of its Asia Pacific supply chain.
- Advised Hume Coal on the tax aspects of its Berrima Railway project with Boral.
- Advised The Body Shop International on the acquisition of its Australian franchise business.
- Advised a multinational equipment manufacturer in relation to an ATO risk review.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of New South Wales - Member
- Taxation Institute of Australia - Member
- New South Wales~Australia (2010)
- University of Sydney (LL.M.) (2015)
- University of Sydney (LL.B.) (2006)
- University of Sydney (B.Sc. Adv. Physics) (2006)
Baker & McKenzie, an Australian Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.