Miles Hurst is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Tax team in Sydney with a broad range of tax advisory experience. Miles has extensive experience in fund structuring, infrastructure and real estate investment, M&A, restructures and cross-border tax issues.
Miles is ranked by Asia Pacific Legal 500 as a New Generation Partner (Tax) for 2020 and is an author of Thomson Reuters' Laws of Australia Income Tax service. He is also a regular speaker at tax conferences including the Tax Executive Institute's Tax Summits, the Asia Pacific Tax Conference and AVCJ's Private Equity and Venture Capital Forum.
He is a go-to advisor for many foreign funds, consortiums and other investors making investments into Australia across a number of sectors, including infrastructure, power and utilities and property.
Miles also advises significant global groups on cross-border tax issues, with his clients spanning a broad range of sectors including financial services, technology, healthcare, industrials, retail, energy and construction.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising SK E&S on its acquisition of a 25% interest in the Bayu-Undan and Darwin LNG from Santos, part of a bundle of assets Santos is acquiring from ConocoPhillips for AUD 2.2 billon
- Advised Siemens Financial Services on its AUD 2 billion Forest Wind joint venture with CleanSight
- Advised Varde Partners on the potential IPO of Latitude Financial
- Advised Morrison & Co on its acquisition of water utility Flow Systems
- Advised RATCH-Australia Corporation on the acquisition of a 70% stake in Western Australia's largest wind farm, Yandin, from Alinta Energy
- Advised YTL Corporation on the AUD 200 million+ acquisition of The Westin Perth
- Advised Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec on the AUD 10 billion consortium acquisition of the TransGrid NSW electricity network assets, including negotiation with the ATO and NSW Government to obtain certainty on tax outcomes
- Advised Northwest Real Estate Investment Trust on its AUD 600 million staged acquisition of Generation Healthcare Real Estate Investment Trust and its buy out of Generation Healthcare Management
- Advised a global biotechnology firm on cross-border tax structuring issues
- Advised a number of global firms in the technology, infrastructure and biotechnology sector on the application of Australia's ant-hybrid rules and supply chain restructures
- Advised a US based hedge fund on the acquisition and disposal of Australian investments
- Advised a large Canadian pension fund on Australian investments
- Advised Resonance Industrial Water Infrastructure Fund on the acquisition of Australian bioenergy assets
- Advised Broadcom, Symantec, Hewlett-Packard, Keysight Technologies, Lexmark and F5 Networks on a number of transactions including acquisitions, post-acquisition integrations and business unit sales
- Next Generation Partner (Tax), Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2020
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of New South Wales
- Taxation Institute of Australia
- New South Wales~Australia (2010)
- University of Sydney (LLM Tax) (2015)
- University of Sydney (LLB, Hons) (2006)
- University of Sydney (BSc Adv. Physics) (2006)
- Author, Thompson’s The Laws of Australia income tax service
- Various articles for tax Australian income tax services including CCH and Thomson Reuters
- Speaker at various tax conferences including the Tax Executive Institute's Tax Summits, the Asia Pacific Tax Conference and AVCJ's Private Equity and Venture Capital Forum