Sonya is the head of Antitrust and Competition Practice Group of the Baker McKenzie Taipei office, and specializes in the areas of litigation and arbitration, particularly in cross-border commercial disputes and consumer protection, as well as cartel investigation, restraint of competition and hotel related agreements. Also under her leadership, our Firm's antitrust and competition practice was once again ranked by Global Competition Review Elite Law Firm status and by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific Tier 1 Leading Law Firm in Taiwan in 2022. She has been named as a Competition Law Expert in Taiwan by Who's Who's in 2022 and Leading Individual by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific in 2022.
Sonya's practice focuses on dispute resolution, antitrust and competition, and hotels and resorts.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented an Irish company in a lawsuit on the recognition and enforcement of an English judgment in Taiwan as well as the provisional attachment proceedings.
- Represented a bank in a civil lawsuit and criminal lawsuit in connection with Ponzi scheme.
- Represented a subsidiary of a foreign bank in defending various lawsuits initiated by the investors in relation to the sale of the structured notes products.
- Represented several banks in defending the lawsuits and arbitration claims initiated by the investors in relation to the sale of the target redemption forward products.
- Represented a subsidiary of a foreign bank in defending various lawsuits initiated by the guarantors in relation to the loan granted to the borrower.
- Assisted a Taiwan bank and a Taiwan insurance company in defending lawsuits filed by Trustee for the Liquidation of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC and the Foreign Representative and Liquidation of Fairfield Sentry Limited.
- Assisted a local shipping company in two arbitration cases in London.
- Represented eight banks in an ICC arbitration in Paris.
- Represented an IT company in a SIAC arbitration in Singapore
- Named Leading Individual by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2022)
- Named Who’s Who Legal: Competition (2022)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Chair of Competition Law Committee, Taipei Bar Association (2014~2017)
- Non-governmental advisor of International Competition Network (2014~present)
- Deputy Secretary General, Taipei Bar Association (2018~2020)
- Director, Taipei Bar Association (2020~present)
- Kaohsiung~Taiwan (2005)
- Tainan~Taiwan (1996)
- Hsinchu~Taiwan (1995)
- Taipei~Taiwan (1992)
- Cornell University (LL.M.) (1995)
- National Chung-Hsing University (LL.B.) (1991)
- Articles contributor to Dispute Resolution Handbook 2011/12 Cross-border Country Q&A (Taiwan), Practical Law Company
- Author, "You Must Know Leniency Program – An Important Rule for Enterprises", Monde Jade Magazine, April 2012
- Author, "Leniency Program for the Concerted Action", Market Daily, January 2013
- Author, "Amendment to the Taiwan Fair Trade Law", Monde Jade Magazine, April 2015
- Author, "A More Flexible Pricing Management", Commercial Times, 08 May 2015
Baker & McKenzie, a Taiwanese Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.