Sonya Hsu practices in the areas of litigation and arbitration, particularly in cross-border commercial disputes, as well as consumer protection, unfair competition and reorganization/insolvency. She is a graduate of the National Taipei University and Cornell University School of Law. Ms. Hsu is admitted to the Taipei Bar Association, Hsinchu Bar Association, Tainan Bar Association and Kaohsiung Bar Association.
As Taiwan’s consumer protection laws have gained an increasingly higher profile in recent years, Ms. Hsu helps businesses develop strategies to ensure compliance with local and international consumer protection laws and effectively respond to consumer complaints. She also advises and represents clients facing consumer complaints and in product liability litigation proceedings. She also represents clients in defense litigation and settlement negotiations involving food safety and pharmaceutical matters, as well as local and multijurisdictional e-commerce and internet issues. Ms. Hsu also drafts and reviews contracts to ensure compliance with the current local laws.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing a multinational company in an administrative lawsuit regarding the legality of the joint license for CD-R patents.
- Representing a multinational fast-food company in various cases regarding consumer complaints and consumer protection litigations.
- Representing a multinational computer company in dealing with the government’s reactions and the consumer complaint lawsuits in relation to two pricing-error incidents.
- Representing Days Healthcare Medical Ltd. in a lawsuit on the enforcement of an English judgment in Taiwan as well as the provisional attachment proceedings.
- Representing Tinghsin group in a lawsuit filed by a Taiwan local bank, which involves the argument whether the interests accumulate during the company reorganization period, which shall be extinguished once the reorganization is successful.
- Assisting Formosa Plastics Marine Corp. in defending a claim resulting from the repudiation of the VLCC sale contract ending in an English court.
- Assisting Formosa Plastics Corp. in defending a claim in relation to the infringement of trade secrets pending in a Texas court.
- Assisting Eastern Media International in defending two arbitration claims in relation to charter party disputes.
- Assisting ABN Amro bank in acquiring the good bank of Tatung Commercial Bank and in integration work.
- Assisting DBS Bank in acquiring the good bank of Bowa Commercial Bank and in integration work.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tainan Bar Association - Member
- Kaohsiung Bar Association - Member
- Hsinchu Bar Association - Member
- Taipei Bar Association - Member
- Kaohsiung~Taiwan (2005)
- Tainan~Taiwan (1996)
- Hsinchu~Taiwan (1995)
- Taipei~Taiwan (1992)
- Cornell University (LL.M.) (1995)
- National Chung-Hsing University (LL.B.) (1991)