Kurt Haegeman is the global chair of Baker McKenzie's Consumer Goods and Retail Industry Group and a partner in Baker McKenzie’s Brussels office. Kurt is also a member of the Firm's Global Cartel Task Force and European Competition Law Practice Group.
Kurt has extensive experience in advising CG&R clients and clients from other industry sectors on complex multijurisdictional antitrust matters, including antitrust investigations focusing on horizontal and vertical conduct, dawn raid defense and leniency strategy. Kurt assists CG&R clients regularly in the development, roll-out and policing of Europe-wide distribution systems, and has particular expertise in advising on selective distribution and ecommerce management. Kurt has been at the forefront of Baker McKenzie's efforts to support CG&R clients in their response to the pandemic.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represents the Brands for Europe coalition of more than 20 global brand owners in connection with the European Commission’s review of the EU Vertical Restraints Block Exemption & Guidelines, and before in the context of the EU's e-commerce sector inquiry.
- Represents several consumer goods manufacturers in ongoing antitrust investigations into resale price maintenance, territorial and customer restraints, and online sales restrictions.
- Represented Pioneer in the European Commission's investigation concerning resale price maintenance and territorial restrictions, securing a 50% discount in the first EU settlement in a verticals case.
- Acted for a multinational FMCG supplier in the Belgian Competition Authority's first cartel settlement decision concerning the Belgian grocery sector.
- Represented Mitsubishi Electric in the settlement of the European Commission's cartel investigation in the car parts sector (alternators and starters).
- Represented an automotive parts supplier in the European Commission’s ongoing cartel investigations in the car parts sector, successfully securing the closure of the case.
- Advised Mitsubishi Electric on the European Commission's cartel investigation involving gas-insulated switchgear, and securing on appeal before the General Court complete annulment of the fine.
- Counseled Mitsubishi Electric on the European Commission's cartel investigation involving elevators and escalators, securing the lowest fine for the client.
- Acritas Star Lawyer 2018-2021
- Competition & Future Leaders, Who's Who Legal 2018-2021 (Competition & Future Leaders)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Non-Governmental Advisor (NGA) for DG Competition (European Commission) at the International Competition Network (ICN), 2019-2020
- Brussels~Belgium (1996)
- Cambridge University (LLM) (1996)
- University of Ghent (Licentiate) (1995)