Doğan Gültutan is a Senior Associate and Solicitor-Advocate (Higher Courts Civil Proceedings) in the Baker McKenzie Dispute Resolution team based in London. Doğan acts for and against states and state bodies, with particular experience in the energy sector and large infrastructure projects. He also often advises investors on treaty planning, and leveraging international protections in the context of government interference.
Doğan is dual qualified (England & Wales and Turkey) and has over twelve years' experience before the English and Turkish courts and arbitral tribunals. Doğan relocated from Baker McKenzie Istanbul and joined the London team in 2016.
Doğan recently completed his PhD student at City, University of London, where he focused his research on moral damages under international investment law. His thesis was very recently published by Kluwer Law International as part of its International Arbitration Law Library series. Doğan is also a Lecturer in Law at City, University of London and has taught / teaches undergraduate and graduate students on International Economic Law, Contract Law, Equity and Trusts Law, Public Law, Legal Skills and English Legal System.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing a Singaporean integrated agricultural conglomerate against a Cayman entity in an LCIA arbitration in connection with a loan facility agreement. The place of arbitration is London, England; applicable law is English law.
- Representing a Zimbabwean forestry company against the Republic of Zimbabwe in connection with the enforcement of an ICSID award obtained against the State before, inter alia, the English courts.
- Representing a Turkish company against a Libyan state entity regarding a dispute arising from a joint investment agreement. The place of arbitration is Geneva, Switzerland; applicable law is Libyan law.
- Representing two Chinese state-owned entities against its former Egyptian distributor in ICC arbitration in connection with the termination of distribution agreements. The place of arbitration is Paris, France; applicable law is Egyptian law.
- Representing a multi-national banking and financial services company against an investment fund before the English Commercial Court regarding the enforcement of a foreign (New York) judgment in England, with the amount in dispute exceeding USD 600 million.
- Representing a Turkish construction company acting as main contractor against its CIS based employer and its sub-contractors in connection with disputes arising from a construction contract. The place of arbitration is London, England; applicable law is English law.
- Representing a Samoan company as charterers against a Singaporean company as disponent owners in LMAA arbitration in connection with disputes arising from a voyage charter concerning the carriage of coal. The place of arbitration is London, England; applicable law is English law.
- Representing a Dubai based entity against four Turkish nationals in ICC arbitration in connection with a breach of warranty claim under a share purchase agreement. The place of arbitration is Istanbul, Turkey; applicable law is Turkish law.
- Doğan was awarded the Sir Thomas More Bursary (2008) and the Hardwicke Entrance Scholarship (2009) by the Honourable Society of Lincoln's Inn.
- Doğan was recognised as a "key lawyer" in Legal 500's UK 2023 rankings for international arbitration.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Istanbul Bar Association (and Türkiye Union of Bars)
- The Bar of England and Wales
- The Honourable Society of Lincoln's Inn
- London Court of International Arbitration's (LCIA) Young International Arbitration Group (YIAG) - Regional Representative for Europe (2013 - 2016)
- International Chamber of Commerce's (ICC) Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF)
- ASA's Young Practitioners Group (Association Suisse de l'Arbitrage, Groupe des Jeunes Praticiens de l'Arbitrage)
- Istanbul Arbitration Center's (ISTAC) - Young ISTAC
- England & Wales (Solicitor)~United Kingdom (2017)
- Istanbul~Türkiye (2013)
- City, University of London (PhD) (2021)
- Dokuz Eylul University (Graduate Diploma in Turkish Law) (2012)
- University College London (LLM) (2010)
- University of Westminster (LLB) (2009)