Matthew Gorman is an associate in the Global Immigration & Mobility practice of Baker McKenzie's Washington, DC office. Matthew advises on corporate and employment-based immigration law, including work visa petitions, permanent residence and immigration compliance. He regularly advises multinational corporations, start-ups, and high-net-worth individuals on the strategy, requirements, and procedures to secure visas, satisfy employment eligibility, and ensure compliance with immigration-related regulatory requirements. Matt holds more than nine years of experience in immigration law, serves as an Adjunct Law Professor in the area of Corporate Immigration Law, and is regularly published in blogs and legal news sites in relation to trends and hot topics in the field of global immigration.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised clients in the IT and consulting industries with regard to the creation of mobility guidelines to ensure international compliance with immigration laws for business travelers, developing strategies to ensure US continuous work authorization, and identifying potential immigration strategies in jurisdictions outside of the United States.
- Represented a client in the food manufacturing industry in an ICE Form I-9 audit with potential liability exceeding USD 1 million, ultimately assisting to obtain a warning in lieu of fine or other penalty.
- Partnered with litigation practice group to represent a client in a multi-year DOJ investigation relating to allegations of immigration-based discrimination, resulting in settlement.
- Partnered with litigation practice group on an internal investigation of a multinational corporation in relation to an internal complaint alleging gender and national-origin discrimination in addition to immigration fraud. Investigation included witness interviews of C-suite employees and the request and review of thousands of internal documents and emails in order to produce a cross-functional investigation report with recommendations.
- Developed and implemented complex tax and immigration strategy for high-net-worth individuals and family offices in conjunction with wealth management practice group.
- Created compliance programs for manufacturing companies with regard to I-9 and E-Verify training for a wide range of HR professionals.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Immigration Lawyers Association - Member
- Maryland State Bar Association - Member
- District of Columbia~United States (2021)
- Illinois~United States (2017)
- Maryland~United States (2014)
- University of Maryland (J.D., magna cum laude) (2014)
- Temple University (B.A.) (2011)
Publications & Presentations
Baker McKenzie Articles
- The Global Employer: Global Immigration & Mobility Quarterly Update, December 2021
- At long last, as of November 8, the United States will reopen for international travel - but that is only the first step of the travel process for many travelers, November 2021
- United States: Status Quo for H-1B Cap Season, February 2021
- United States: Start preparing - The H-1B Cap registration window is coming soon!, February 2021
- United States: 10 Questions To Ask Before Managing Form I-9s Electronically, August 2020
- United States: Latest COVID-19 Related Presidential Proclamation on US Immigration Expands Restrictions and Impacts Nonimmigrant Visa Applicants Abroad , June 2020