Mark Goodman is a partner in the Firm's San Francisco office. Mark has led complex multidistrict litigation, handled class actions and tried cases in state and federal courts across the US for both domestic and international clients. Mark regularly presents on product liability, risk mitigation and cross-border disputes. Listed in Who's Who in American Law and a Fellow of the American Bar Association, Mark has been regularly recognized as a Northern California Super Lawyer, a member of the Legal 500 and as a member of the International Who's Who of Professionals.
Mark's commercial litigation trial practice focus includes complex commercial disputes in various industries, including product liability (medical devices, pharmaceuticals and nutraceutacals), breach of contract, fraud, breach of fiduciary duties, food labeling and insurance bad faith. Mark has successfully tried such cases throughout the country, acting as counsel in class actions and multidistrict litigation. His federal and state court appellate and trial experience also includes cross-border litigation and landmark California cases involving trademark, trade name, patent and copyright disputes, as well as other intellectual property, antitrust, privacy, fraud, real estate and sophisticated business litigation matters. He has handled litigation in matters involving insurance coverage, real estate and contract disputes and intellectual property cases. At trial and through dispositive motions, Mark has managed numerous product liability, labeling, unfair competition, fraud and mass tort actions.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm, Mark handled the following matters:
- Successfully defeated class certification and obtained a dismissal in a consumer class action involving alleged mislabeling claims.
- Obtained a jury verdict in a breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty case involving an investment in a pharmaceutical company.
- Obtained summary judgment for an insurance company client and an award of more than USD 600,000 in sanctions in an insurance bad faith case that was affirmed in full by the Ninth Circuit on appeal.
- Obtained USD 10 million settlement of a USD 2 million claim for US subsidiary of a Japanese technology company in relation to a trade credit claim.
- Obtained dismissal of claims against a Hong Kong-based client for patent infringement, theft of intellectual property and conversion.
- Obtained summary judgment in a Montana federal court for an insurance company in relation to a bad faith case alleging coverage under an E&O policy.
- Won summary judgment and obtained rescission of a broker/dealer E&O policy in New York State Court after proving that the insured, who defrauded hundreds of its clients, committed fraud on an insurance policy application.
- Successfully resolved hundreds of class actions in the US and in Canada arising out of the largest pet food recall in US history.
- Northern California Super Lawyers, 2005-2006 and 2008-2018
- Leading Individual in Product Liability and Mass Tort Defense - Consumer Products, Legal 500 US, 2009-2010, 2015-2017
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Fellow
- American Bar Association - Member
- International Association of Defense Counsel - Member
- Litigation and Intellectual Property Sections of the Bar Association of San Francisco - Member
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit~United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit~United States
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California~United States
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California~United States
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California~United States
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California~United States
- Loyola Marymount University (JD) (1991)
- Pomona College (BA) (1987)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.