Julian's practice focuses on advising clients on compliance obligations and managing internal and external investigations in relation to anti-bribery and corruption, financial sanctions, export controls and competition laws. Julian has significant experience in advising clients on engagement with UK and EU authorities, including the Serious Fraud Office, the National Crime Agency, the UK Office of Financial Sanctions Implementation, the European Commission and the Competition and Markets Authority. Julian also advises clients on a wide range of compliance issues, including conducting compliance risk assessments and audits.
Julian has contributed to a number of client alerts and publications in relation to bribery and corruption and trade compliance matters, and Julian regularly presents on these matters as part of the Firm's conferences and webinars.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing a FTSE 100 company on the investigation and self-report of bribery-related matters before authorities in the US and UK, relating to conduct in a number of high-risk jurisdictions.
- Advising a FTSE 250 company in connection with an investigation into potential bribery and corruption-related conduct in the APAC region, and related anti-money laundering issues.
- Advising a number of financial institutions on sanctions and export controls compliance matters, including advising a major UK bank on asset freeze and reporting obligations relating to dealings with an EU Designated Person based in Russia.
- Advising senior executives of a leading financial institution on an FCA investigation in relation to potential sanctions and regulatory breaches.
- Advising a number of technology and energy companies in relation to voluntary disclosures of sanctions and export control violations.
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2016)
- King's College London (Postgraduate Diploma in EU Competition Law) (2019)
- University of Law (Legal Practice Course - Distinction) (2014)
- BPP Law School (Graduate Diploma in Law - Distinction) (2013)
- University of Edinburgh (MA in Spanish and English Literature - including Erasmus exchange at Universidad Autónoma de Madrid) (2011)
Publications and Presentations
- Co-author, "UK Bribery and Corruption Enforcement: 10 Reflections from 10 Years of the UK Bribery Act," Baker McKenzie, September 2021
- Co-author, "Update on UK Sanctions and Export Controls Post-Brexit," Baker McKenzie, January 2021
- Co-author, "UK Bribery and Corruption Enforcement: Key learnings from the four most recent Deferred Prosecution Agreements entered into by the Serious Fraud Office," Baker McKenzie, September 2020
Julian has also presented on trade and compliance matters at a number of Baker McKenzie's client conferences, and has also contributed a number of articles to Baker McKenzie’s Sanctions & Export Controls update blog.