Lyubomir Georgiev has practiced law since 2003 in US and in Switzerland and has assisted banks, insurance companies, fiduciaries, and high net worth individuals. Lyubomir participated in the negotiations of the special arrangements between the Government of the Principality of Liechtenstein and the UK on voluntary disclosure, tax compliance certification and tax information exchange. He heads the Firm’s EMEA Wealth Management Knowledge Management & Training as well as the wealth management practice group in Zurich and the US tax practice in Geneva. Previously Lyubomir was a member of the EMEA Wealth Management Steering Committee and worked in Washington, DC and New York. He is admitted to practice in Washington, DC, US Tax Court, England and Wales, and Switzerland as a foreign-qualified solicitor. Lyubomir has been ranked in Chambers Global since 2012 as a foreign expert in practice areas such as UK tax and private clients, US private clients, and Liechtenstein tax and general business law.
Lyubomir practices in the following areas: global wealth management, cross-border taxation, withholding and tax treaties, tax filings, and regulatory compliance. His practice focuses on assisting institutional and individual clients with assets or activities involving multiple jurisdictions, including US, UK, EU, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, and UK Crown Dependencies. Lyubomir regularly advises on issues relating to FATCA, QI, and OECD CRS tax information exchange, life insurance and annuity products, trust and estate planning, expatriation and relocation.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Bar Association - Private Client Tax, Insurance, Banking Law
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member
- District of Columbia Bar - Member
- American Bar Association / International Law; Estates, Trusts and Probate Law; Taxation Sections - Member
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) / Contentious Trusts & Estates; Cross-Border Estates; International Client - Member
- Zurich Art. 28 BGFA~Switzerland (2013)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2009)
- U.S. Tax Court~United States (2008)
- District of Columbia~United States (2003)
- New York University (LL.M. Taxation) (2008)
- Cornell University (J.D.) (2003)
- University of National & World Economy (B.A.) (1999)
- New York