Senior VAT Adviser
Baker & McKenzie London Services Ltd.
Not admitted to practice law in this jurisdiction
Philippe Gamito has 11 years of experience in VAT in Europe, having worked in Belgium, France and in the UK. Philippe advises international clients on their complex cross-border flows, restructuring projects, M&A transactions, financial products, and provides assistance in respect of litigation matters.
Philippe regularly publishes articles in leading tax journals in the UK and in Europe with respect to financial services VAT.
Over the years, Philippe has been helping large investment banks and platforms, payment service providers (in the context of in-sourcing and outsourcing), fund managers, cryptocurrency platforms, insurance and credit companies. Philippe focusses on optimising businesses’ overall VAT position, which involves reducing exposure, enhancing recovery and compliance whilst taking into account business practicalities and constraints.
- University of Oxford (MSc in Taxation) (2018)
- Solvay Brussels School of Economics and Management (Master in Tax Management) (2013)
- University of Brussels (Master of Laws) (2011)
Most recent publications:
- Author, "Danske Bank: will EU VAT grouping survive to reverse Skandia?"  32 International VAT Monitor (IBFD) (issue 4), 213 – 218.
- Author, "Danske Bank judgment" (note to the case)  Highlights & Insights of European Taxation (Kluwer) no. 290.
- Author, "Arrêt Blackrock Investment Management (UK) Ltd: prestation unique de gestion de fonds et ventilation aux fins de la TVA"  29 Journal de Droit Européen (Larcier) 275, 13-15.
- Author, "United Biscuits judgment" (note to the case)  Highlights & Insights of European Taxation (Kluwer) no. 660.
- Author, "A Look back at EU VAT developments in 2019 regarding insurance and financial services: Part 1 and Part 2"  31 International VAT Monitor (IBFD) (issues 4 and 5) (published in two different issues).
- Co-author, ‘Section 53 and Schedule 18: VAT groups: eligibility’  British Tax Review 3, 350-358.
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.