Martin Frey’s practice covers private equity — including venture capital and buyouts — mergers, acquisitions and corporate restructurings, with an emphasis on cross-border transactions. He also advises domestic and international clients on general corporate and tax law matters. He joined Baker McKenzie in 1991 and previously served on the Firm’s Policy and Financial Committees and the Firm’s Global and European Steering Committees of the Private Equity Practice Group. He is a recognized leader in the Swiss private equity market, and has been named “Lawyer of the Year” in private equity in the Best Lawyers-Ranking 2018.
Martin Frey regularly advises Swiss and foreign clients in M&A and private equity transactions, as well as multijurisdictional corporate restructurings. He is currently a member of the Management Committee of the Zurich Office.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised funds advised by Ambienta in connection with their investment into SF Filter AG and its subsidiaries.
- Advised IST Investmentstiftung für Personalvorsorge in connection with its acquisition of a stake in Swissgrid from Alpiq AG.
- Represented funds advised by Gilde Buy out Partners and the management of RIRI SA on the acquisition of RIRI SA from Synergo.
- Regularly represents Orior AG in connection with M&A transactions.
- Advised Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp. with its acquisition of Oncoethix SA.
- Advised Sulzer AG in relation to its sale of the Metco business to OC Oerlikon.
- Represented Degrémont in connection with its investment into Evatherm AG.
- Advised the State Oil Company of Azerbaijan Republic (SOCAR) on the acquisition of Esso (Schweiz) GmbH from ExxonMobile.
- Represented Capvis Equity Partners on the acquisition of Orior Food SA and the subsequent add on acquisition and related debt financing by Orior of Spiess Holding AG.
- Advised Orior Food SA in connection with its IPO on SIX Swiss Exchange.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Swiss Bar Association
- Zurich Bar Association
- Switzerland (1984)
- Swiss Tax Academy (Swiss Certified Tax Expert) (2002)
- Georgetown University (LL.M.) (1987)
- University of Berne (Attorney) (1984)
Co-author, Warranty & Indemnity Insurance und Private Equity, in: Gericke, Dieter, Private Equity VI, PE 6.0: Neue Mitspieler, neue Technologien, neue Themen, neues Recht, Schulthess, 2018
Author, Commentary on articles 3-6 of the Swiss Merger Act, in: Stämpflis Handkommentar, Fusionsgesetz, 2nd Edition, 2015