Martin Frey is a senior counsel in the Baker McKenzie Zurich office.
Martin joined Baker McKenzie in 1991 and previously served on the Firm's Policy and Financial committees, the Firm's Global and European steering committees of the Private Equity Practice Group and as a member of the Zurich office's Management Committee.
Martin's practice covers private equity (including venture capital and buyouts), mergers, acquisitions and corporate restructurings, with an emphasis on cross-border transactions. He also advises domestic and international clients on general corporate and tax law matters. Martin is a recognized leader in the Swiss private equity market, and has been named "Lawyer of the Year" in private equity in the Best Lawyers Ranking 2018.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Omega Fund VI on its series A investment into Chord Therapeutics SA, followed by the subsequent sale of the company to Merck KGaA.
- Advised a consortium of VC funds on their investment into Anjarium Biosciences AG.
- Advised the shareholders of Artum AG on their exit from the investment to Storskogen AB.
- Advised the shareholders of Assentis Technologies AG on the sale of their shares to Smartcomms SC Limited.
- Advised Numab Therapeutics AG on the series C round of financing by a consortium of VC funds.
- Advised Sofinnova Partners and New Enterprises Associates (NEA) on their series A investment into Polyneuron Pharmaceuticals AG.
- Regularly advises in several major domestic and cross-border reorganizations and restructurings.
- Ranked lawyer in Corporate/M&A, Chambers, 2018-2021
- Leading individual in Corporate/M&A, The Legal 500, 2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Swiss Bar Association
- Zurich Bar Association
- Switzerland (1984)
- Swiss Tax Academy (Swiss Certified Tax Expert) (2002)
- Georgetown University (LL.M.) (1987)
- University of Berne (Attorney) (1984)
Co-author, "Von der Forschung zum Venture: Technologietransfer durch öffentliche Forschungseinrichtungen," in Venture Capital Reinvented: Markt, Recht, Steuern, Private Equity VII, Schulthess, 2020
Co-author, "Warranty & Indemnity Insurance und Private Equity," in Gericke, Dieter, Private Equity VI, PE 6.0: Neue Mitspieler, neue Technologien, neue Themen, neues Recht, Schulthess, 2018
Co-author, "Offenlegungspflichten nach GAFI und Private Equity — Wie, wer, was oder die Quadratur des Kreises," in Gericke, Dieter, Private Equity V, Fundraising, Investition, Realisation, Reinvestition — Aktuelle Entwicklungen und Herausforderungen im Ökosystem Private Equity, 2016
Author, Commentary on Articles 3-6 of the Swiss Merger Act, in Stämpflis Handkommentar, Fusionsgesetz, 2nd Edition, 2015
Author, "Beteiligung und Incentivierung des Managements beim Buy-out," in Gericke Dieter, Private Equity II, Rechtliche, steuerliche und regulatorische Aspekte von Buy-out bis Exit, 2012
Author, "Investment Agreement — Rechtsfragen und Ausgestaltung," in Gericke Dieter, Private Equity, Verträge und Rechtsfragen bei Venture Capital Investments (auf Grundlage der SECA-Musterverträge), 2011