Daniela Fonseca Puggina is a trusted advisor to multinational corporations and domestic clients doing business globally. She stands out for her wealth of expertise in a range of cross-border disputes and offers notable expertise in matters concerning the financial services sector. She has represented numerous financial institutions and other corporate entities in internal and governmental/SRO investigations as well as related enforcement proceedings, civil litigation and arbitration.Daniela has been recognized by Chambers where clients noted, "She is very quick in analysing problems and providing answers," and "She is an excellent litigator who is determined, creative and always has time for her clients."
Daniela's practice focuses on resolving disputes for US and non-US companies, including financial institutions in civil litigation, corporate internal investigations, and related regulatory enforcement matters. She has successfully represented clients under investigation by the US Department of Justice, the US Securities and Exchange Commission, FINRA, OFR, OCC and state attorneys general.
Her practice also covers cross border commercial disputes, and disputes concerning wills, trusts and estates involving assets located in several jurisdictions. Daniela also has considerable experience representing corporate clients in contract and partnership disputes before US state and federal courts.
Representative Legal Matters
- Trusted advisor to legal counsel responsible for the Americas of multinational telecommunications, information technology, and consumer electronics company in compliance and investigation matters involving investigation and trade matters concerning its Latin America operations.
- Trusted advisor to business, legal and compliance teams of Latin America based financial institution doing business globally determining the applicable local legal requirements, assessing and measuring risks and implementing controls to avoid or mitigate such risks.of 38 countries in the Americas, Europe, Asia and Africa.
- Trusted advisor to general counsel of global technology development and design services company with company expansion to 7 countries in Europe, Asia and Latin America and local legal issues relating to change of control of holding company.
- Trusted advisor to legal counsel responsible for Latin America of global entertainment company in connection with its expansion into 6 countries in Latin America.
- Successfully obtained dismissal of several hundred million dollars bond lawsuit against Latin American bank with global operations in in the US, within a few months of litigation.
- Represented several banks with respect to garnishment disputes, including multiple conflicting garnishments of multimillion dollars in accounts previously blocked by OFAC.
- Represented several financial institutions in debt collection matters involving complex loan transactions and multiple jurisdictions ranging from hundred-thousand to multimillion dollars.
- Assisted a Latin America bank with global operations with revisions and negotiations of enforcement aspect of agreement to invest in supply chain financing electronic platforms in Europe and in the US.
- Assisted an European private bank with subsidiaries in Latin America with internal investigation and legal consultation with respect to its Latin America subsidiaries' activities.
- Assisted a Latin American bank with the acquisition and surrender of license to operate in the US.
- "Shareholder Derivative Litigation Lawyer of the Year in Florida," The Lawyer Network, 2022
- "Influential Business Woman," South Florida Business Journal, 2019
- "On the Rise 40 Under 40," Daily Business Review, 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Financial & International Business Association - Director (2016 - present)
- Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce, Inc. - NY, Director (2022 - present)
- Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce of Florida - Director (2012-2016)
- Brazil Foundation - Director (2013-2016)
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida~United States (2016)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida~United States (2005)
- Florida~United States (2003)
- Nova Southeastern University (JD, summa cum laude) (2003)
- Broward Community College (Attended)
- Faculdade de Direito, Milton Campos (Attended)
- Speaker, " Dissecting the Anti-Money Laundering Act of 2020 (cont.)," FIBA AML Conference, Miami, FL, 24 March 2021
- Moderator, "Anti-Money Laundering Act of 2020," FIBA Webinar. Miami, FL, 11 February 2021
- Moderator, "The end of LIBOR: What does benchmark reform mean for you?," FIBA Webinar, Miami, FL, 3 March 2020
- Moderator, "Marijuana Related Businesses, Legislation, and Banking: Where is it and where is it going?," FIBA Webinar, Miami, FL, 24 February 2020
- Moderator, "Discussion on the Importance and Interplay of the Roles of Legal Counsel and Compliance Officers," The Way Forward Conference, Miami, FL, 7 February 2018
- Moderator, "The New Final CDD Rule – Due Diligence Tips and Traps," FIBA Webinar, Miami, FL, 6 February 2018