Prof. Dr. Ulrich Ellinghaus joined Baker McKenzie in Frankfurt in 1996. He has extensive experience in regulatory law, with a focus on environmental, health & safety and product safety law.
Ulrich Ellinghaus advises and represents international clients on product-related regulatory matters including technical, product safety and environmental law and regulatory compliance in the supply chain.
Representative Legal Matters
Advises market-leading producers of electronics, sports equipment, toys, apparel, passenger cars, capital goods and other products on all matters of product regulatory and environmental compliance in the EMEA region from product design to waste stage.
Advises European and Asian OEMs and suppliers in the automotive industry on homologation matters and on all regulatory aspects of electrification and automated/autonomous driving.
Advises manufacturers of e-bikes, e-scooters and component manufacturers on regulatory and homologation requirements.
Coordinates multi-jurisdictional surveys on regulatory topics.
Advised the Union des Associations Européennes de Football (UEFA) on product regulatory questions (vanishing spray).
Coordinated on behalf of the European Commission a comprehensive survey on the implementation of the General Product Safety Directive in the Member States.
Coordinates on a global level worldwide product recalls producers of toys, IT/C equipment, sports/leisure equipment, consumer electronics, apparel, vehicles, etc.
Advises European, US and Japanese chemical, mining and pharma companies on REACH and CLP implementation and compliance.
Leads and coordinates environmental law due diligences in connection with M&A transactions.
- Advises international food companies on regulatory matters including food contact materials and product safety.
- Best Lawyers in Germany 2019 for telecommunications law, environmental law and public commercial law, Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers, 2019
- Acritas Star, Acritas Sharplegal 2018
- Germany (1996)
- University of Giessen (Honorary Professor) (2007)
- University of Giessen (Dr. jur. summa cum laude) (1998)
- University of Wisconsin (LL.M.) (1993)
- University of Giessen (Referendar Exam) (1991)
- Co-author, "US Government Issues the Ukraine-related Sanctions Regulations," 19 May 2014
- Co-author, "OFAC Amends and Reissues Syrian Sanctions Regulations," 9 May 2014
- Co-author, "The United States, European Union and Canada Expand Ukraine-related Sanctions," 2 May 2014
- Co-author, "EU and US Expand Sanctions Against Russia. Russia Retaliates," 24 March 2014
- Co-author, "EU and US Sanction Russian and Ukranian Individuals Following the Crimean Referendum," 18 March 2014