Alexander Ehrle is a member of the Firm's International Trade Practice in Baker McKenzie's Berlin office. Alexander studied law at the Universities of Heidelberg, Montpellier (France), Mainz, Munich and New York (NYU) specializing in Public International and European Law. He worked as advisor and member of a delegation of a developing country at the United Nations before qualifying for the German bar. He spent his clerkship with the Higher Regional Court in Berlin, the German Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Berlin and Tokyo as well as an international law firm in Frankfurt and Milan. He wrote his doctoral dissertation on the structural changes of public international law and their conceptualization in academic discourse basing his research on the governance of areas beyond national jurisdiction. Alexander is admitted to practice in Germany and New York.
He advises clients on the international, European and public law governing international trade. Alexander advises inter alia on sanctions and embargo regimes, foreign investment review and international investment law. Alexander moreover focuses on business & human rights, for which he can build on his experiences of working with international organizations and in international dispute settlement. He also advises on compliance in these areas of law.
Representative Legal Matters
- Defending German pharmaceutical company in criminal proceedings in Germany for breach of export regulation laws
- Advising a company on permissibility of exports to Russia under the UN/EU Russian sanctions regime
- Advising an international energy and shipping company on anti-boycott legislation and measures
Advising numerous companies on the German and European restrictions on foreign investments
Professional Associations and Memberships
- European Society of International Law, Deutsche Gesellschaft Vereinte Nationen - Member
- Germany (2017)
- New York (2014)
- International Investment Law Centre Cologne
- Hague Academy of International Law
- New York University School of Law (Master of Law International Legal Studies)
- Rhodes Academy of Oceans Law and Policy (Diploma)
- Ludwig Maximilian University (First State Exam)
Baker & McKenzie Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten und Steuerberatern mbB is a professional partnership under German law registered with the Local Court of Frankfurt/Main at PR No. 1602. It is associated with Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.