Dr. Alexander Ehrle is a member of the Firm's International Trade Practice in Baker McKenzie's Berlin office. Alexander studied law at the Universities of Heidelberg, Montpellier (France), Mainz, Munich and New York (NYU) specializing in Public International and European Law. He worked as advisor and member of a delegation of a developing country at the United Nations before qualifying for the German bar. He spent his clerkship with the Higher Regional Court in Berlin, the German Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Berlin and Tokyo as well as an international law firm in Frankfurt and Milan. He wrote his doctoral dissertation on the structural changes of public international law and their conceptualization in academic discourse basing his research on the governance of areas beyond national jurisdiction. Alexander is admitted to practice in Germany and New York.
Alexander co-chairs the Business & Human Rights Committee of the American Bar Association’s International Law Section and has been recognized as one of 40 under 40 lawyers worldwide for foreign investment control by the Global Competition Review.
He advises clients on the international, European and public law governing international trade. His practice encompasses advising on sanctions and embargoes, trade defense instruments, export control regulations, foreign investment review and international investment law as well as human rights and sustainability due diligence and compliance, including on the German Supply Chain Due Diligence Act and the EU Directives on ESG compliance. Alexander furthermore advices on trade policy, free trade agreements, disputes arising out of these and customs matters.
Alexander has been seconded to and worked with a major company in the optical industrial and manufacturing technology sector.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising numerous companies, manufacturers, banks and stock exchanges on the Western sanctions adopted against Russia in the course of the Russia-Ukraine conflict.
- Representing a US American defense company in the proceedings on the recognition and enforcement of a multi-million arbitral award based on the New York Convention against a Venezuelan state entity before the German courts.
- Defending German pharmaceutical company in criminal proceedings in Germany for breach of the EU Anti-Torture Regulation.
- Advising a global environmental Non-Governmental Organization on human rights obligations compliance and investigating occurrences of past non-compliance.
- Advising an international energy and shipping company on anti-boycott legislation and measures.
- Representing numerous persons and entities in foreign investment review proceedings before the German government, including the German Ministry of Economic Affairs. and Climate Protection.
- Advising investors and vendors in numerous M&A transactions on foreign investment review restrictions globally in multiple jurisdictions.
- GCR Foreign Investment Control (FIC) 40 Under 40 2023
- Best Lawyers – Public Economic Law – 2023
- Ones to Watch – Public Economic Law – 2023
Professional Associations and Memberships
- European Society of International Law, Deutsche Gesellschaft Vereinte Nationen - Member
- Germany (2017)
- New York (2014)
- University of Munich (Ludwig-Maximilians-University) (PhD, Public International Law)
- Harvard University, Harvard Kennedy School, Trade Policy (Executive Education)
- International Investment Law Centre Cologne
- Hague Academy of International Law
- New York University School of Law (LL.M., International Legal Studies)
- Rhodes Academy of Oceans Law and Policy (Diploma)
- University of Munich (Ludwig-Maximilians-University) (First State Exam)
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Alexander Wolff, Dr. Oliver Socher, Dr. Christian Vocke
Baker McKenzie Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH von Rechtsanwälten und Steuerberatern is registered with the Local Court of Frankfurt/Main (registered seat) HRB 123975. It is associated with Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.