Lynsey Edgar is a partner in the Sydney Dispute Resolution team, specialising in competition and consumer law. She is a member of the Law Council of Australia's Competition and Consumer Committee, and is recognised in Legal500 (Competition and Trade, 2021), where she is described as being "able to deliver clear, considered and succinct advice without unnecessary legal complexities".
Lynsey is part of Baker McKenzie's Global Antitrust & Competition practice which is ranked No. 3 in the world in Global Competition Review's 2021 Global Elite list of premier competition practices.
Lynsey's practice focuses on competition investigations, enforcement litigation and regulatory matters. She assists clients with complex merger clearances, advises on highly technical aspects of competition/antitrust law, and has a particular expertise in cartels including immunity applications.
Lynsey also advises on consumer issues including misleading and deceptive conduct, consumer guarantees, advertising, unconscionable conduct, and compliance with the Australian Consumer Law.
Lynsey has significant experience defending clients facing investigations by regulators, particularly the ACCC, and assists clients to effectively resolve commercial disputes involving competition and consumer law claims.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing companies and individuals in ACCC investigations and enforcement actions in the pharmaceutical, health, online travel, consumer goods, retail, manufacturing, shipping and financial services industries, including in relation to cartel immunity applications.
- Securing merger clearance from the competition regulator for mergers and acquisitions in various industries including financial services, transport, petroleum, telecommunications, waste management, and manufacturing.
- Representing clients in commercial disputes involving issues under competition and consumer law, including disputes between competitors, consumer claims, and claims by distributors.
- Advising retailers and online platforms on consumer law issues including unfair contract terms, warranties, unconscionable conduct, product safety, product liability, consumer guarantees and advertising.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member, Law Council of Australia, Competition and Consumer Committee
- Member, Law Society of New South Wales
- England & Wales (2010)
- Federal Court of Australia~Australia (2008)
- High Court of Australia (2008)
- Supreme Court of New South Wales~Australia (2006)
- University of Sydney (LLM)
- University of Technology Sydney (LLB (Hons I), BA (Comm.) )
Author 'Cartel Class Actions in Australia: Risks vs Rewards' (2019) 27 Australian Journal of Competition and Consumer Law 183
Author 'Evaluating Damages in Shareholder Class Actions for Misleading Conduct and Breach of Disclosure Duties' (2018) 7 Journal of Civil Litigation and Practice 147
Author 'Mavericks in Merger Regulation: Approaches and Problems' (2018) 26 Competition and Consumer Law Journal 116
Author 'Market Manipulation through False or Misleading Statements on Social Media: Enforcement Issues' (2018) 33 Australian Journal of Corporate Law 166
Author 'Financial Rewards for Cartel Informants: A Future Approach to Cartel Detection in Australia?' (2015) 23 Competition and Consumer Law Journal 105
Author 'Acceptable Quality v Merchantable Quality' (2015) 23 Australian Journal of Competition and Consumer Law 97
Author 'Force Majeure Clauses, Multiple Contracts and Allocating Shortfalls between Customers' (2015) 43 Australian Business Law Review 329