Kerrie Duong is a senior associate in the Commercial Real Estate Group.
Kerrie has extensive experience acting on sales, acquisitions and leasing of hotels and resorts, commercial properties and industrial properties in Australia. Kerrie is a highly-skilled hotels lawyer and her expertise in this industry extends to negotiating and advising clients on hotel management agreements in the Asia Pacific region (including in Singapore, Japan and Indonesia), non-disturbance agreements, bifurcated ownership structures, hotels that form part of mixed use developments and hotels with branded residences components.
Kerrie also has significant experience advising clients on a range of property, development and project matters including in relation to disability housing and advising clients on the leasing of specialist disability accommodation to providers, the provision of support services to residents, and the project agreements that sit above these arrangements. With her experience advising on leasing transactions and sales and acquisitions, Kerrie also has extensive experience acting on large multi-jurisdictional multi-practice portfolio deals.
Kerrie is an experienced real estate lawyer who brings to her practice a commercial focus and a thorough understanding of property issues.
Representative Legal Matters
Acting for NSW Treasury and Department of Communities and Justice (formerly, the Department of Family and Community Services) on the NSW Government's exit from the provision of Disability and Aged Care Services. This included the preparation and negotiation of services agreements and accommodation agreements with residents, and head leases with providers.
Acting for the NSW Government on the Hunter Residences Program PPP in relation to the sale and development of 69 residences (on sites sold by the State to the private sector) to house approximately 345 residents (as transferred by the NSW Government from Large Residential Centres). This included the negotiation of a project delivery deed and contracts for the sale for the residences.
Acting for Hitachi on its acquisition of ABB's power grid business which included a portfolio of over 300 real properties globally that were acquired or shared as part of the transaction, including the negotiation of the real estate aspects of a merger agreement and the managements of real estate due diligence in multiple jurisdictions.
Acting for a Thai client on the acquisition of two-thirds of Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort and Spa and the negotiation of accompanying joint venture arrangements with the remaining owner.
Acting for Frasers on its acquisition of the Novotel on Collins, Melbourne.
Acting for TFE Hotels on the negotiation of management agreements and ancillary documents for their hotels around Australia and New Zealand, including The Calile Hotel Brisbane, Vibe Hotel Sydney and Adina Apartment Hotel Pentridge, Melbourne.
Acting for Vicinity on the negotiation of the management agreements for Hotel Chadstone.
Acting for MNC Land on the negotiation of management agreements for the proposed Trump Bali Nirwana Resort and the Trump International Golf Course and Club Jakarta at Lido Lake Resort.
Acting for City Developments Limited on the negotiation of management agreements for a proposed hotel forming part of a AUD 3.5 billion mixed use development in the Singapore CBD.
Acting for Pembroke on all aspects of the leasing of 20 Martin Place, Sydney to both retail and commercial tenants.
- Finalist in Real Estate, Lawyers Weekly 30 under 30, 2017
- Finalist, Rising Star of the Year, Women Lawyer's Association of NSW
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of New South Wales Young Lawyers - Member
- Barangaroo Women's Network - Member
Kerrie is actively involved in pro bono and community initiatives, including:
- committee member in the Finance, Audit, Risk and Clinical Governance Committee for the IndoChinese Aged Care Services;
- volunteering for the Women's Legal Services NSW in preparing Victims Services applications for clients;
- volunteering for the Senior Rights Service as a telephone legal adviser providing legal advice to people over 65 years old;
- volunteering for Justice Connect Answers providing online legal advice to clients;
- providing advice to clients of Justice Connect in relation to various real estate issues and matters; and
- acting as a mentor in the NSW Young Lawyers Mentoring Program.
- New South Wales~Australia (2012)
- High Court of Australia~Australia (2012)
- University of Sydney (Bachelor of Laws, with Honours II) (2011)
- University of Sydney (Bachelor of Commerce Finance) (2009)
- Regular contributor, Baker McKenzie's Hotels, Resorts & Tourism Newsletter
- Contributor, Australian Property Law Bulletin